Oddness(bad) with brakes...

Sinful6

Aspiring Guru
I go out to my car today to leave. I start up the car(everything is good), I press the brakes lightly, I move the shifter into Reverse(to back out of the garage), and let off the brakes(to idle out of the garage). The car did not move. I give it a little gas(read: 2200RPM), the car loads up like the brakes are clamped down.

I'm positive that it is not a tranny problem because I can feel it go into reverse, and load up. So I put it in park, shut the car off, popped the hood, pumped the brakes 15 times, and proceeded to check the brake fluid level.

All checks good to this point(except of course the car not moving due to the brakes).

I put the cap back on the reservoir, and think that it may be an emergency brake problem(I never use the emergency brake for anything, let alone parking). I pulled the handle out for the emergency brake, then I pushed the pdeal down, and pulled the handle again to make sure. I climbed under the car to verify that there was slack in the emergency brake cable, and that it got tighter when I pushed the pedal.

All was still checking good.

I thought to myself that maybe it was a fluke, so I started the car up again, put it in Reverse, and it still would not go anywhere. So I tried Neutral, nope. Drive, nope. All were the same thing. I feel the car shift into the gear, but the brakes are holding it back.

So essentially, I parked my car, and over the two days that it sat, the brakes somehow remained clamped down? How is this, and how can I free them up?

Also, I can't tell if it is just the front brakes, or the rear brakes, or all 4. I do run a line lock, however I haven't used it since February. Another thing that I should mention is that I have not been driving the car hard(I've been driving it like a Cadillac) no burnouts, fast accelerations, hard braking, etc... that is what really makes it wierd... :(

-DC:cool:

Originally posted by Sinful6
...................Also, I can't tell if it is just the front brakes, or the rear brakes, or all 4.......-DC:cool:

First, loosen the front brake lines that go to the line lock and let a little fluid drain. Then see if the car will roll.

Nick, I will try that in the morning.

I think I should mention at this point, that the brake light came on a few times throughout the testing. The brake light had been coming on intermittently for a few weeks before all of this.

I would really appreciate some insight about all this, this car is my only transportation for the moment!

Of all of the stupid things...

It turns out that it was my line-lock solenoid. It just decided it didn't want to turn off... Any ideas as to why this happened, or are they prone to do it after so many miles?

P.S. If anyone else out there is reading this, and has the same problems, be sure to move all wires away from your line lock solenoid because, DAMN, does that thing get hot quickly!