OD Planetary again?

krazy86t

With strong acceleration (15 psi boost on stock turbo) heard a loud bang on 2-3 shift and lost all F,R gears. Took transmission out for rebuild, and builder said OD planetary failed (this was supposed to be 750 HP build and I'm no where near that). Got the rebuilt 200r4 in a couple months ago, and have upgraded to methanol injection to get 20 psi boost. I've got a couple months of regular driving plus WOT passes to test/tune new chip and methanol settings. Car screams with 20 psi - totally awesome!

Last night at WOT and 20 psi nasty BANG revisited with same loss of all F,R gears. OD Planetary again? Very disappointing, car was running awesome. I doubt I'm over 400 HP (stock turbo, heads, long block, 20 psi with methanol and TT 5.7 chip, 42# inj, etc. bolt ons), but keep breaking transmission that is supposed to handle 750HP? I read the thread about 200R4 weaknesses and he mentioned OD planetary. Thoughts?

Probably so.

Stop diving it in OD when you're romping on it. Doing that it will break the trans, no matter what the HP "build" is. Your trans guy never told you that?:mad:

I keep this little reminder hanging on my rear view mirror.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 187
Ummmmmm...nope. Never heard or saw that advice - anywhere. Dammit.

Seriously? That is easy to correct. taking out transmission, shipping, rebuild, re-install is not that easy

What about hitting throttle on highway so kicks down to 3rd for passing, and shifts back to OD?

I've had a problem with mine snapping the end of the input shaft off. It's happened twice in less than 50 miles. Builder has been awesome and taking care of it, but I definitely feel your frustration. Time, money, embarrassment of having to be trailered or towed home.:mad: I get it!

Ummmmmm...nope. Never heard or saw that advice - anywhere. Dammit.

Seriously? That is easy to correct. taking out transmission, shipping, rebuild, re-install is not that easy

What about hitting throttle on highway so kicks down to 3rd for passing, and shifts back to OD?

Ask your guy why it happened........make sure you tell him it was in overdrive.

Bench seat, column shift car and gear indicator needle broke off when I upgraded digital dash, so not always easy to tell what gear i'm in,

Can you finish a 1/4mi run shifting from D to OD, or is that bad too? When doing manual shift 1-2-3-4, sometimes column shift goes from 2 past D to OD

I'll hold off on naming transmission builder. Going to call tomorrow

If you think that romping on it in "D" instead of "OD" will stop the OD planet OR the forward drum shaft from snapping, I've got some great investment potential to sell you.....super cheap...pm me....

Usually I see cracks in the planet when the 4th oil hole is too large. .070" hole and don't do wot 3-4 and it will last a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With strong acceleration (15 psi boost on stock turbo) heard a loud bang on 2-3 shift and lost all F,R gears. Took transmission out for rebuild, and builder said OD planetary failed (this was supposed to be 750 HP build and I'm no where near that). Got the rebuilt 200r4 in a couple months ago, and have upgraded to methanol injection to get 20 psi boost. I've got a couple months of regular driving plus WOT passes to test/tune new chip and methanol settings. Car screams with 20 psi - totally awesome!

Last night at WOT and 20 psi nasty BANG revisited with same loss of all F,R gears. OD Planetary again? Very disappointing, car was running awesome. I doubt I'm over 400 HP (stock turbo, heads, long block, 20 psi with methanol and TT 5.7 chip, 42# inj, etc. bolt ons), but keep breaking transmission that is supposed to handle 750HP? I read the thread about 200R4 weaknesses and he mentioned OD planetary. Thoughts?

If you are breaking the OD planet, there can be a calibration problem causing parts failure. What converter are you using? This is important to diagnose a potential problem. The parts installed may not have been inspected and were on borrowed time. If it is a lock-up, get the 3rd gear lock-up removed from the chip, tell Eric you want 4th gear lock-up only and make sure it will never lock-up at WOT. You can upgrade to a billet OD planet, but if there is a calibration issue, then stress from a bad calibration will then be moved to the next weakest link and can even break billet parts. If you need any info, feel free to give me a call....

If you are breaking the OD planet, there can be a calibration problem causing parts failure. What converter are you using? This is important to diagnose a potential problem... If it is a lock-up, get the 3rd gear lock-up removed from the chip, tell Eric you want 4th gear lock-up only and make sure it will never lock-up at WOT. You can upgrade to a billet OD planet, but if there is a calibration issue, then stress from a bad calibration will then be moved to the next weakest link and can even break billet parts. If you need any info, feel free to give me a call....

Lock-up, stock converter. I'll contact Eric about chip programming to avoid lock-up at WOT and 3rd gear. Thanks!

Lock-up, stock converter. I'll contact Eric about chip programming to avoid lock-up at WOT and 3rd gear. Thanks!
A stock converter should not be used with a trans with an aggressive shift calibration. You will break the trans often. I figured you had a stock converter. Have your builder tune it down some or get a new converter.

A stock converter should not be used with a trans with an aggressive shift calibration. You will break the trans often. I figured you had a stock converter. Have your builder tune it down some or get a new converter.

The 12" LU converter came with first rebuild in Dec2011, and stall RPM is approx 2300-2500 (foot brake method). Previous owner somehow had a V8, 1400 RPM stall converter, so I never had the original, stock converter while owning car. I've seen claims on this website that too high stall can reduce performance with stock turbo. When you mention tuning converter down, is this the same as looser, higher stall?

What stall is recommended for my combo above? Right now the shifts are very firm, almost clunky at low throttle but smoother at high throttle. I pressure tested hydraulic line pressures No TV and Full TV after installing transmission, I could post the numbers if that would help decide on converter stall and appropriate combination. Thanks!

The 12" LU converter came with first rebuild in Dec2011, and stall RPM is approx 2300-2500 (foot brake method). Previous owner somehow had a V8, 1400 RPM stall converter, so I never had the original, stock converter while owning car. I've seen claims on this website that too high stall can reduce performance with stock turbo. When you mention tuning converter down, is this the same as looser, higher stall?

What stall is recommended for my combo above? Right now the shifts are very firm, almost clunky at low throttle but smoother at high throttle. I pressure tested hydraulic line pressures No TV and Full TV after installing transmission, I could post the numbers if that would help decide on converter stall and appropriate combination. Thanks!
Refer to my post about hole sizes and post what size you find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I stated have your builder tune it down some I was referring to the shift calibration. With a 12" converter of any stall it is important to not let them shift real hard. I spent a lot of time in the early 90's figuring out what works with the 12" converter to not break hard parts, no billet parts were available to us and I was successful to get them safely into the 10.70 et range without failure. This is documented in the GS Extra. Maybe they could have gone faster but that was it for the turbos that were used in these combos and available at this time period. If your trans was built for 750HP, I will say the trans shifting is very aggressive as stated and with the 12" converter you will break parts no matter what. OD shifting has nothing to do with you breaking the OD planet in this case, but it should never be made too aggressive or it can help a failure happen. As far as a converter for your set-up, I could build a 2400 stall that will work well with your setup. Give me a call to discuss

Last edited:
Got the transmission out and to builder earlier this week. They will tear down soon to diagnose problem. They said should not be breaking internals with WOT launch in OD or D (trans-brake launch is only in 1st). The shifts are aggressive, I'll give you a call to discuss converter build. Thanks for the help.

Eric Marshall confirmed that my chip(s) will only lockup converter at low TPS voltage and over 45 MPH; no lockup signal at WOT.

Got the transmission out and to builder earlier this week. They will tear down soon to diagnose problem. They said should not be breaking internals with WOT launch in OD or D (trans-brake launch is only in 1st). The shifts are aggressive, I'll give you a call to discuss converter build. Thanks for the help.

Eric Marshall confirmed that my chip(s) will only lockup converter at low TPS voltage and over 45 MPH; no lockup signal at WOT.
Glad I could help. I would remove 3rd gear lock-up completely out of the chip though. Call me any time to discuss a converter build.

Update: Ring gear broke. Drum was damaged as splines took a beating from the ring gear failure. Builder hopes to have trans rebuilt and shipped back to me next week. Trans builder says this shouldn't have happened and insisted nothing wrong with hard pulls in OD. Shifts are extremely aggressive, so going to swap out the 12" converter for Husek 9.5" 3021 HF this time