Octane RON

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
I am overseas. Having a hard time finding hot rodders that speak English so I have to rely on my old Buick brethren. Thinking about buying a Turbo car. Still trying to decide what car to get. I think we use the RON octane method. Thought I could figure it out by google ing it but only got a head ache. Is there a simple calculation for RON to the US method? We have 95 RON. Will have to look further to see if they have a higher or lover octane choice like we do in the US. Also have LPG and is about half the price of regular gas. Wondering if the LPG would harm a Turbo motor. I know it would not be tuned to LPG for performance driving.....but would it be ok for A to B driving?

95 RON is not very much and is probably equivalent to 92 or 93 using the r+m/2 calculation. LPG or propane would be good if you could set it up correctly. It has a higher detonation threshold than most pump gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This website might give you what you need for octane rating:
http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html

I also pasted the table.

Octane table.JPG

guess it will be tuned to what every octane is available. Thanks for the chart....much simpler than wikipedia. Guess I should find out if LPG is a higher or lower octane rating. I drive my father inlaws car. When I switch back and forth...... it seams like the Regular Gas has more power. Of course when I talk about power....its a 1.6 Fiat. Assume if lpg were installed on a Turbo car it would have to be after the turbo and not before?

LPG has an R+M/2 just over 100 if I remember correctly. You loose volumetric efficiency with gaseous fuels because the vaporized fuel displaces air, but the turbo helps make up the difference. A turbo engine should run quite well on LPG.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm. Interesting. Will have to look at the pump next time we fill up. Thanks.