Observations from Salem

Scott231

Mean Scott
Got there quite late Thursday. Got to see some fast turbo buicks. Unfortunately, the first car I saw was Neal Whyte whose oil pressure had just dropped to zero. :( Dave England was running some 10.30s - hopping - out of the whole. The Pumpkin had an aborted pass when I saw it. John Schmidt's Opel only turned in a 9.60 popping most of the way down the track. Keith Egan's emergency rebuild is running 10.80s. Joe Midolo's granny-looking turbo Limited ran a 12.0 on ET streets. :D

Rained abunch last night and continued lightly this morning. Heading back out to the track now.

Thanks for the update and hopefully a couple of the fellas will have a little better luck today. Have Fun:cool:

I wish I was there now.

I'll see you tomorrow sometime, complete with last minute chrome alternator.

Weather did cooperate for a few hours and cars were Flying in the coool air. :D Unfortunately, the first car didn't go down the track until after 2 and by 6:00 the rain started up again. The rain lasted less than an hour but then the wind completely went away and there was no sun to help dry off the track. This coupled with the given that any street tired car would be tracking mud and grass up onto the track got the event closed for the night around 8.

TSM had 14 cars show up to race and weigh-in. One of the TSM cars would have been Joe Midolo had he not blown a head gasket on his 11-second attempt (it'll be fixed and running today.) Phil Mcgloin's 5.13 geared TSM car ran a 10.57 showing that it CAN be done. Wht87T also came up from Florida (to avoid the hurricane) and weighed/ran his car for the first time. He will have to add weight to be legal in TSM today.

Track personnel are under contract to be at the track at 5 tonight so T&T will not start until then. The Heads Up classes will also run their qualifying passes tonight with all Turbo Heads Up eliminations being run on Sunday.

Thanks for the update Scott! Hopefully some pics and vids will follow:) :cool:

Turboscott

Who crashed there car off the end of the return road and are they allright.

I was at the track at about 11:10am.And a beautiful big tired turbo regal went past heading down to the return road(think it was purple).

The guy I was talking too said it was his friend.I am bad with names so I don't remember his.He did a burnout then left with boost probibly just trying to see if the car was running correctly.As I was leaving to go get some cash to buy a transmission someone came down and said something about doc and something about crashed his car.

And to come with youre golf cart and pick him up.At that point I left to head to the bank when I got to the bank It closed at 12:00 so it of course was 12:03 and they wouldn't let me in.

I never got back to the track so my question is most importantly how is he doing?

Also how much damage to the car?

wreck

onefastjackass , you was talking to me, if you are the guy wanting to buy trans, and convertor, the car wrecked was jim rocks twin turbo car, he made a burnout lost the car and hit a tree, broke his right arm and cut his lips could have been worst, his car was destroyed, jims brother is a doctor and he was at the race he said he thought jim would be ok , later,:(

I heard that Cotton won TSO and Steven Sullivan won TSM. What happened with you OC ?

Yes, Cotton won TSO. He is really getting that new turbo combo down now. His winning pass was a 9.25 @149.1 lifting a few times in the pass. I would like to give a congrats to everybody there competing this weekend, this was a great group of guys down there. Special note to Chris Lyons, who had some mechanical issues Sat night and loaded up, pulled the motor, and worked to 3AM and MADE it to the race on Sunday and proved to be a contender to not be taken lightly. Chris was also #1 qualifier, he is getting that car moving.

Again, Thanks to Jacks Crew for thier hospitality at the Cottons Den.

Finally met "Mean Scott", Wht87T. and more guys I can't even remeber their names now. Sorry Odell for the trouble on the car, I'm going to have to get a pair of them overalls for the next race, hope the hay bailing goes well.

Yep, it was Jim Rock and his Purple People Eater. A real stupid thing that he did (launching the car at full power on the return road...reportedly with no helmet or seat belts on). But once that ~1200HP monster made a hard left turn into the grass (at what could have been 100MPH), it might as well have been on ice.:rolleyes:

I have the whole thing at home. Don't have the time here at work to input it all...and I will be out of the house most of the evening so it may not be posted for a day or two. If you were really interested, you should have been there. :D ;)

Originally posted by Scott231
Yep, it was Jim Rock and his Purple People Eater. A real stupid thing that he did (launching the car at full power on the return road...reportedly with no helmet or seat belts on). But once that ~1200HP monster made a hard left turn into the grass (at what could have been 100MPH), it might as well have been on ice.:rolleyes:

I thought he crashed making a pass.
Never heard of someone launching on the return road
:confused:
Guess he will not try that again. :rolleyes:

Anyway, at least he is ok.

BPG NATS

I was extremely happy with the BPG NATS. I had four passes Thursday, one pass Friday......stinking rain, four passes Saturday, and Three passes Sunday making it into the second round in GS pro. Hopefully I can have my own traction issues solved for next year, but being a primarily stock car............I'll take my 14.0.

My only gripe was the car show was 9 hour long. It was clear thely were understaffed. The event staff should have the car show working alot better next year. There just wasn't enough people helping out in the car show staff. They had their hands full, but have already conceded that there were problems and it will not happen next year.

It was a great event that I will remember forever. ;)

Dave Kelsch

Re: wreck

Originally posted by odell4o8
onefastjackass , you was talking to me, if you are the guy wanting to buy trans, and convertor, the car wrecked was jim rocks twin turbo car, he made a burnout lost the car and hit a tree, broke his right arm and cut his lips could have been worst, his car was destroyed, jims brother is a doctor and he was at the race he said he thought jim would be ok , later,:(

Sorry to here he totaled the car and hurt himself.
I am glad he is gonna eventually be alright.
I showed up on sunday and looked for you.You must have already packed it in and went home.

Are you gonna be in Norwalk in sept???

I've got pictures of the marks left by Jim Rock...but it appears we are not allowed to attach pictures in this forum.