OBD II scanner

TurboCrazy

Turbo on the brain!
OK, I have put off buying an OBD II scanner for way too long! Ofcoase, I have put it off until I really need one. What are the best cheap ones, and what are best bargians if you spend some $$ ($1000 or less)?? Give me some options, and what your experiences have been. Thanks in advance.

Brandon

what do you need it for?
if you just want to read some codes, then a $100 unit from Wal mart will get the job done.

these days you can also buy OBD2 scantool programs for a laptop computer- and there's probably something out there for ipads and things like that, too.

There is one that Android runs I think is called torque. You need a single to plug in the obdii. Then it connects through Bluetooth.

You can get an OTC unit off evilbay fairly cheap these days. I've seen Gynisys units go for under $1k and that's about as advanced as it gets. I've even seen a few that went under $500 but you have to keep looking for them.:)

I just can't seem to hit them at the right time, dammit!:mad:

Check out the Otc Genisis. They are all over ebay and craigslist. I used the Mac Mentor for years . Make sure it has early obd1 cables so you can scan your Buick as well. Go to usatoolwarehouse.com. and you can search for differant models.
I still use it at home but at work I use the snap-on verus. You can also buy the actron scan tool frome zone. The little scan tools like those dont give alot of data. The aps for the smart phone are pretty cool. Auto enginuity is a decent obd2 scan tool. you can get a palm scan or pc program. For an obd2 scan tool thats a good choice has lots of bidirectional controls so you can run evap system tests and a lot of other tests. I dont work for them but I do teach classes on this system for the company I work for. Alot of people dont like because they get confused but its a great tool. If you bought this tool I could show you alot of the features. good luck

Thanks for the info, guys. I have looked at a couple of the cheaper ones, but i'm not very impressed. I don't mind spending a little more to get good tools. Never been sorry of it!