o2

gmncop

looking to replace o2 this weekend . this will be my first time doing it . wanted to know how difficult, and where its located.any help and sugestions would be very appreciateded.

If it is dirty and maybe a bit rusty, go ahead and put some PB blaster on it for a few hours or overnight to loosen it up. It is in the pass side header just behind/under turbo. (see pic) You will either need a wrench, very deep socket, or a special socket for O2 sensors. (see other pic) These sockets are available at most parts houses. Also, see if you can get an AC Delco O2 sensor. They are about the best from what many have posted. At least stay away from cheepies! ;)

Attachments

• o2sensor.JPG
    o2sensor.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 56
  • socket.jpg
    socket.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 48
If it has been in there for a while, it could be a pain in the A$$. I have had them come right out and I have had to heat the header with a torch. The last one I took out was in a Honda and it broke off, staying in the manifold :eek: ! Once I replace one, about every six months, I go and loosen it up just to make sure it does not seize up over time. Good Luck!

It should come out fairly easy with a regular open ended wrench (17mm I think?). Just like someone said, put a little penetrating oil on it if it is stubborn.

Squid4life: I noticed you have a screw plugging your wastegate solenoid purge line. Not a good idea! :eek:

87geeinn said:
Squid4life: I noticed you have a screw plugging your wastegate solenoid purge line. Not a good idea! :eek:

Not mine, it was a local buddies car, which we found that as I was snapping pics and quickly replaced it with the foam filter. Thanks for catching that, though, just in case.

When you do replace the O2 sensor, make sure and use some antiseize so it is easier next time.

Grocerygetter~ 22 mm (if that is the size???) would work for removal, but you tear up the wire or break it internally trying to install the new O2 without either a wrench or the special socket.