O2 Fyi

tonydee64

Perhaps all of you already know this... But, I was not aware that the WB O2 sensor has to be linked to each specific ECU.. I also have another thread here... and unfortunately this was not my problem to my O2 pegging at 15.94. If you do use an O2 sensor that did not come with your ECU you will need to get a disk or e-mail file to reconfigure your ECU to match the new O2 sensor.

I just thought this might be useful to the rest of you.

Originally posted by tonydee64
Perhaps all of you already know this... But, I was not aware that the WB O2 sensor has to be linked to each specific ECU.. I also have another thread here... and unfortunately this was not my problem to my O2 pegging at 15.94. If you do use an O2 sensor that did not come with your ECU you will need to get a disk or e-mail file to reconfigure your ECU to match the new O2 sensor.

I just thought this might be useful to the rest of you.

Ya, just one of those HIDDEN Features. And they get to charge $400 for a disc and a sensor that retails for $170. Clever marketing.

Originally posted by azgn
isn't THAT the truth!
Why don't you work on that a bit Bruce!

The *key* is the calibration resistor in the sensor's housing. If you use one with the same calibration resistor the ecm doesn't know it's a different one. If you look at the connector it's an 8 pin. One is unused, and then 5 going to the sensor. The two blank wires feeding into the connector are for the calibration resistor. Trouble is you can't order them by calibration resistor, so it's all rather academic, from that end.

couldn't you OHM check a good sensor then bypass the plug ends to a equal value resistor on the $170 dollar sensor???

nope can;t do that, you must go to the store and ohm each sensor in stock, then find the right one, its crazy but for $300 extra i will take the time!

Yup, that is one reason it will be hard for me to buy another FAST system. That is just absurd.

If you know the OHM value cant you just go to radio shack buy an assortment of resistors and cut the two wires to the sensor and solder the resistor(s) in????There has been a few times Ive run into this on other problems like the resistor in the GM keys there set to a value that has to match the anti theft ECM. The problem there was you can get a resistor in the lock cylinder so I soldered on in the harness and bypasssed the key.

Originally posted by chevyII
If you know the OHM value cant you just go to radio shack buy an assortment of resistors and cut the two wires to the sensor and solder the resistor(s) in????There has been a few times Ive run into this on other problems like the resistor in the GM keys there set to a value that has to match the anti theft ECM. The problem there was you can get a resistor in the lock cylinder so I soldered on in the harness and bypasssed the key.

If someone has a pin out, it shouldn't be that hard to try ... I have two friends who also have FAST systems and I would be willing to try and make theirs work with my system just to see. As norbs said, for $300, I think I could waste a weekend trying to figure this one out.

Originally posted by bruce
The *key* is the calibration resistor in the sensor's housing.

OK, one more time.
The *key* is the calibration resistor in the sensor's housing

If it's 4,600 ohms and you find one that's 4,300 ohms you can not just add a 300 ohm resistor, to it and sail on down the road.

It's a CALIBRATION resistor, to set the sensor so that it's CALIBRATED. It's nothing you can tinker with.

The new sensor's calibration info is feed into the ecm with the new disc. You have to crack what's in the disc, or find a sensor with the same calibration resistor as the original one.

I understand what your saying. Is that leg tied into output signal also? I thought it was a straight in refference through a resistor then back to the ECM. If its tied in you would have to get in the sensor body. :mad:

I wouldn't recommend swapping resistors. I was at a NMRA race in Atlanta and our O2 went bad. I swapped in a new O2 and used the old O2's resistor. The O2 correction limit was already zero'ed out, so I wasn't to worried about hurting the engine, I just wanted to view the O2 info. The information the new O2 gave me was useless. It showed we were running way, way leaner then the old O2 did.

There is no other way to use another sensor unless it has a similar resistance value They probably use about 10 different resitors they pick and choose from, get behind the counter and go through the inventory with a oohm meter.. Either the store will help you or kick you out.

It was my understanding that you can't even buy these types of O2 sensors anywhere....Are you all saying that the resistor O2 sensors are not unique to the FAST system.. Could I go to Autozone and find some to measure?

Originally posted by tonydee64
It was my understanding that you can't even buy these types of O2 sensors anywhere....Are you all saying that the resistor O2 sensors are not unique to the FAST system.. Could I go to Autozone and find some to measure?

I've never seen a Dealership, or Parts House that had them in stock. It's always been a special order item. BS3, Accel, F.A.S.T., Motec, Emerald, all used the same WB. It's made by NTK, and was an oem part for a Honda. There is now a second generation version, being used in some of the current Hondas.

What will be interesting, is if NTK just discontinues them. With the original application being so old now, there's no real oem demand for them. And for whatever reasons, several months ago, the prices were over $550 for them. So if and when NTK stops production, and the aftermarket guys run out of inventory, then folks will be stuck. BTW, it was right after ACCEL announced it's WB that the prices skyrocketed. So it sounds like they had bought the existing stateside inventory. So again, it looks like there might be some not too pleasant times, a coming.
Craig had implied they were immune from that price spike, so hard telling what the full story is. But, NTK is the sole provider of the sensor. Bosch even buys the sensors from NTK so that they can offer a somplete product line of O2s. Open a Bosch box, and the sensor has NTK stamped on it.

And we just ignore the Bosch owned WB design.......

I am pretty sure the BigStuff3 box I saw had a bosch lsu4 sensor on it. it was the regular box, not the pro sefi unit. maybe down the road the bosch and ntk sensors will interchange (with software changes of course...

WHo is giving your this price of $550, what are they on?

Is it possible to copy the calibration disk?
If it is start a post and maybe we can collect and share the info.

Originally posted by norbs
WHo is giving your this price of $550, what are they on?

For almost a month, all the dealers, and parts houses around here were up that high. Odd thing was is that it went high after no availibility for a month or so. For a few weeks it was looking like the new price was going to be over $500.

Within just weeks of the DIY-WB being available the price went from $96 to $130. Then in the last few years has risen to an average of about 160.