O-Ring...block or heads?

Do you think it is better to O-Ring the Block or the Heads?

• Block

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Heads

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

LUZ_2_A6

Old School
I am wondering which way i should go. O-Ring the heads or the block? Thanks guys, also...maybe you could explain your choice. Thanks

I did the block because you can line up the headgasket on the O-rings perfectly before you drop the head on. Also if you have a set of ported/aluminum heads and the shop screws up (you just never know), a block is easier and cheaper to repair/replace.

I had nothing but problems with my O-ringed heads. knocked bearings out in motor with antifreeze in oil pan. Several tear downs to get it right. I've heard many a same story. Of course if everthing is perfect (and you have money for rebuilds) :::::

I believe its much cheaper to do the block. There's a very simple tool that centers itself in the bore to do the block. If you do the heads youre stuck using a CNC machine. With that said I did the heads. No problems yet using a smear coat of RTV around the water passages and coating the solid coppers with aerosol Hylomar.
HTH,

O'ringz??

Why do either one? Tune the engine correctly and use the correct parts on the build, and you need neither heads nor block ringed.
If you have a production engine, the head gaskets serve as a safety valve, should you get it into heavy detonation. Lock the gaskets and the safety valve then becomes the crank!!!:eek:

Re: O'ringz??

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
Why do either one? Tune the engine correctly and use the correct parts on the build, and you need neither heads nor block ringed.
If you have a production engine, the head gaskets serve as a safety valve, should you get it into heavy detonation. Lock the gaskets and the safety valve then becomes the crank!!!:eek:

Amen!

Chuck, I stayed in Lawrenceville when I attended the Olympics.... Nice little town!

I guess I should have mentioned that also. Unfortuneately, My ported irons had been cut so many times that the only way to bring my compression back to a useable level was to run solid coppers .083" thick. When using coppers an o-ring is required. I definitely wouldnt run o-rings if I didnt have to. :)

I have O-ringed iron heads with stock gaskets. That fuse still blew twice. The first time from being lean, the second, I really don't know why. It blew the first time I went WOT. There was no heat signs in the gasket. Maybe a bolt was loose. I am going to do some new 3 layer Felpros. But not doing the o-rings on my M&A's.

I did the block because of the cost to have a local machine shop re-tool to do a V-6 head. Also, from what they told me it is easier for them to do a "perfect" cut on the block because of some centering tool they use. Even with the O rings you can still blow headgaskets. The O rings just help to do the job 8 bolt heads cannot.