Now my cruise control won't work.

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
My cruise control used to work. I replaced the dash light for the 'Cruise' indicator and now it won't work anymore. Upon further inspection I found that I put the wrong bulb in the socket. The bulb I put in draws more watts than the bulb that is supposed to be there. When I set the cruise it worked and then it quit about 20 seconds later. I thought something was strange because of how bright the indicator was but I was not aware at that time that I had put the wrong bulb in. What could this have messed up? Would the increased current draw of the wrong light bulb cause the cruise to check out? I have since replaced the wrong bulb with one that is for that application but still it won't work. Help. Thanks in advance.

My cruise occasionally shuts off while I'm driving. Sometimes I can reset it right away and sometimes it won't reset for 20 miles. Can these problems be related?

The wiring from the turn signal stalk is usually the culprit. Try tilting the steering wheel, pull the stalk out of the steering column, and wiggle it around, to see if the light goes on. It's common for the flimsy wires to develop breaks in them, and almost impossible to fix. You would need to replace the stalk.

Also, pry up on the brake pedal with your foot...sometimes the switch makes enough contact to shut the system down.

Last resort, replace the cruise module. I would doubt that the extra load would kill the circuit, but you never know with these cars.

What I'd do is turn the key to the Run position,pop the hood,then turn the Cruise on and off. You should hear a click at the servo when you turn the Cruise on and off. If not,there's a wiring issue.

The problem with my Cruise turned out to be a defective servo. I swapped the one on from one of my '90 Ciera's. Problem solved.

The wiring from the turn signal stalk is usually the culprit. Try tilting the steering wheel, pull the stalk out of the steering column, and wiggle it around, to see if the light goes on. It's common for the flimsy wires to develop breaks in them, and almost impossible to fix. You would need to replace the stalk.

Also, pry up on the brake pedal with your foot...sometimes the switch makes enough contact to shut the system down.

Last resort, replace the cruise module. I would doubt that the extra load would kill the circuit, but you never know with these cars.

Hey John, I'd searched cruise control problems and found a thread where you had suggested it was the stalk. I had a new stalk laying around so I put it in but still no dice. New stalk/Old stalk still the same. I'll test the brake switch today. Crossing my fingers that thats the problem but I doubt it as I did physically check it and it seems to be tight against the pedal.

What I'd do is turn the key to the Run position,pop the hood,then turn the Cruise on and off. You should hear a click at the servo when you turn the Cruise on and off. If not,there's a wiring issue.

The problem with my Cruise turned out to be a defective servo. I swapped the one on from one of my '90 Ciera's. Problem solved.

I did that as well. I hear the servo clicking.

You could have pulled the little vacuum hose off under the dash while you were fiddling with the bulb. That's why mine wouldn't work

If you pull up on the brake pedal be careful as it can push the whole switch assembly up and the cruise wont work and your brake lights wil be on all the time.

Best bet is to leave the pedal where it is and be sure that both the Brake light and cruise switchs are adjusted where the plungers are fully getting actuated.

My cruise switch was off by just a hair...looked right but need one click.

Did you ever find out the problem? I have a servo and a module that I would sell both for 45 shipped.

I fixed it but I still don't know what was broken. I picked up a servo and module from the salvage yard and replaced mine. Cruise works now but I don't know which one of the items were the culprit. Thanks for the offer.