Noticed something terribly wrong!

trading t/a

I'm Angry!!!!!
I started to part the car out after the last hg failure(decided I was done with the 3.8). Well it's on my stand and I turned it over, removed the pan(sump clogged with hg material and a greyish metal dust :frown:

crankshaft end play is good crank in 1 piece, rods still attached, super shiny forged J&E's, looks ok so far. Wait what's that in the pan, no how'd that happen? How could that of happened? Cam bearing all mangled laying in the bottom of the pan...... :eek:

So I'm thinkin when I swapped the 206 in I knocked the cam bearing out(never had this happen on any chevy I've worked on).

Until I dove a little deeper!

Wait that's the cam, but why is there a space in between those two cam lobes? AHHH WTF! The cam is broken in two! I only have pics of the bearing right now, but will be pulling off the cover and yanking the camS out to see the where she broke...

Anyone have this problem or ever heard of such a thing? I just decided to hit the bone yard in PENN. to grab some fwd heads and put her back together. Now I gotta rip the caps off the mains and rods and see if any of the cam material is in there.

Either I have the worst luck or someone musta died in my car and it's haunted.........

Attachments

• TTA 656 Roller 374.jpg
    TTA 656 Roller 374.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 327
Engine was completely built, stock studded mains modded front cover, hv pump, j&e's, arp everywhere. I think I just got a bad cam.........

It's old news, doesn't bother me much anymore. I've decided to keep the car and install the engine I want.....

Parts are up for sale

Harness is out(uncut only mod is the trans+ timing adapter, mounts will be out soon, as well as cluster.....

Will take $1650 for everything tb related. That is all tb parts added to this fbody to make it a TTA. From the headers to the vss...........

Email me if you're interested. It'll go to Ebay when everything is out and cleaned up...... So get it before it goes there......

These are interference motors. If you broke the cam, it should of had piston to valve impact. ask me how I know this :redface:

Bad cam bearing=junk block. I've heard of this happening when the mains were over torqued creating a mis-alignment.. then tweaking the block. That is why cam is checked that it spins properly after the mains are TQ'd down, and heads are installed and TQ'ddown.. We get caught up building an engine and assembling the short block.. put the heads on.. then forget to check the cam.

Good luck..

Hi,
Look, if you broke the cam, it was because the back journals were starving for oil.That IS where the break occurred, right? When a shaft gets hot enough for long enough,it fails. The bitch about cam problems is that you rarely get a warning. Collapsed lifters should have been your only signal.
You weren't serious about parting it out, were you? That would be a mortal sin.... Good luck with your rebuild!

As to why the cam broke...I would imagine that the cam bearing walked out first, then the pressure of the cam doing its job to lift the valves without support in the block caused its to break.

If the cam bearing walked out.. the block is junk.

wow! Bringing back such an old thread.....

The cam bearing went first, as I suspected but didn't go with my first suspicions it fell out during the swap wedged in between the rods and when it started the cam grabbed the unbearinged journal and 1/2 twisted and the rear cylindes stayed causing the cam to crack........

As I mentioned in another thread, I can't complain though. I tried selling the car when it had almost no miles on a built drivetrain(coulda ended up screwing someone) so instead I parted it out. I made more selling the performance parts and TTA specific parts then I was asking for the entire car. Plus I have a nice roller for my sbc turbo build..........

It just happens to be a special roller :rolleyes: