Notching rear end

TwinyTwin

Who here has notched the rear end of there car to fit a wider tire/wheel setup for there car? Looking into doing this for my car but would like to know whats all involved and how much of a problem this might be. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for you time.

Check the URL in my sig. There are pics of my notch there.

I did a search before doing this too, and yes there were a few posts about this. But still could not fing all the info I wanted. And a few good pictures but not many.

If you do this be sure to add an additional crossmember to retain strength. I used a 1 5/8 chromoly tube, and added a couple of extra kickbacks off of my roll bar to keep the rear framerails from twisting.

Check out the next issue of GMHTP magazine, there should be a pretty good article with most of the info and pictures you are looking for.

disco stu. So with the notch job you did on your ride, how wide can you go?

To tub out a car does that mean getting rid of the frame rails in the rear and if so. How do you retain strength? And I suppose rubbing and running a much wider tire would require a shorter rear axle?

Mad_Trbo said:
disco stu.
1.So with the notch job you did on your ride, how wide can you go?

2.To tub out a car does that mean getting rid of the frame rails in the rear and if so. How do you retain strength?

3. And I suppose rubbing and running a much wider tire would require a shorter rear axle?

1. 28x10.5 on a 10" 5.5" BS rim (actually a 5.25).

2.when you tub a car you cut off the old rear framerails and crossmember, and fabricate new ones in a location to suit your application. When guys are running 8's, even 7's with 10.5" tires it is something you might not have to think about for a while.

3.If you are only talking about a matter of a couple of inches you can compensate for this with wheel backspace. For example, I went from a 15x8 4" BS to a 15x10 5.5 BS.

Very informative, thanks for the links.

I have to be honest I am not building a drag car, what I wouldl ike to do is put a nice wide tire on the rear more for the look.

I am researching an 18 inch rim, thanks again for the input.