Not sure this is right

Turbo6Smackdown

Was playing with the tv cable to try and correct a problem involving going to first gear during a downshift when it should be going to second gear type of thing. Reduced the TV cable by a notch and it seems to have fixed it but now the cars seem really lazy overall. But while reading up on it I started to think that maybe I should put it back to factory. After I did that I realized that my lever never pulls that cable until the last few degrees of it's swing. So I started to look at pictures of everyone elses and noone has the slack I do. Is this right? This is adjusted and in park.

Attachments

• TV cable.JPG
    TV cable.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 238
I'm pretty sure that you want the TV cable stretched just enough so the throttle body blade is wide open.

Nothing more nothing less.

D

Don't understand what you mean. Ok so I looked under the trans to where the tv cable attaches to the trans itself and it looked loose. It appears to me that there should be a screw in there holding it in. I pulled it a little and it started coming out. I'm assuming it's supposed to be screwed in isn't it...

The end of the cable at the trans is hooked and it hooks to a loop just inside the trans. And yes there is a screw to hold the cable Down to the trans.

The end at the throttle body is adjustable. That's where you adjust the slack.

D

I pulled the trans end of the cable slightly out, but then shoved it back in immediately. Did I unhook anything do you think? Can I access this stuff by dropping the pan?

This slack at the end of the cable by the throttle body looks to be super excessive. Whatever I do there's still two full inches of slack. It's not even being affected whatsoever except at WOT. Is that right?

Sounds like the trans end isn't hooked. You can blow your trans this way. Use a small mirror and a light to look in the hole. Hook the cable properly. That will remove the slack. The adjust accordingly.

D

Would the trans even work right with this sort of slack in my cable? And would you know what sort of screw goes in there by chance?

I don't know the exact screw and I only know so much when it comes to transmission.

Maybe someone else that is more knowledgeable will chime in.

D

Maybe I'm better at this than I think and nailed it perfect and no one needs to chime in.

Yeah that's it.

D

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure it's an M6x1.0 by about an inch long.

When you get it hooked back up you want to set it so the tv cable is at maximum extension when the throttle body is at wide open throttle. No more, no less. The ratchet method is close enough for most (adjust the cable sheath all the way toward the firewall and then stomp the throttle to make it ratchet out to the correct setting)

The cable end
image.jpg

The trans end
image.jpg

How it hooks up
image.jpg

The bolt you're missing
image.jpg

Sorry if it's unclear. That shed has no power and I'm on my fourth whiskey.

So like I said. Get it hooked up with an m6X1.0 bolt and then adjust it so that its pulled as tight as possible at wot but still allows wot.

Do we need to make a sticky on this?

Got it. Just needed the trans end class, which you just gave me. Sweet. Thank you SO much guys. Now on to my next thread.

Make God damn sure it's adjusted right at the throttle end or you'll be buying a trans soon

Depending on how long he's been driving unhooked, if it is unhooked, there may already be damage.

Cross your fingers.

D

Wouldn't I notice the car driving funny immediately though? Or is this not readily apparent if the cable's really maladjusted.

Wouldn't I notice the car driving funny immediately though? Or is this not readily apparent if the cable's really maladjusted.
If the cable was disconnected the check ball will seat and set the pump pressure at a constant 90lbs assuming the check ball is still in place. This is to protect the transmission in case the cable does break or become disconnected. If you haven't got on the car too hard the transmission should be ok.

Sweet. I think it was only truly unhooked on my last test drive which was only to the end of my block. We shall see...

Ok, climbed under there and it still seems to be hooked. Which makes me think, how was my car driving all this time with that much slack in my cable. I don't get it. It always drove fine until the installer put this new trans in while I was away, and from then on everything was perfect except for a downshifting past like 45 or so. Whenever I was out of the range of first gear, my trans would always still go to first when I floored it. Something's not right, because now that I know the tv cable's still hooked up, my gas pedal is super light, and super smooth, like my new daily driver. It was never like this. It was always kind of hard and not really smooth, typical of an old school car with cables. But as of the last few minutes of yesterday it wasn't. I can tell this tv cable isn't part of the equation any longer. I'm totally confused. My cable stretched TWO INCHES? It never got that range of motion to make it to that length. Weird...

Update:
So I called Lonnie and he said it appears your throttle valve is stuck. No way that cable stretched that far. Try working it back and forth to see what happens.

No dice. Thing's stuck like chuck. How?

Last edited: