Nos?

If you have a stock short block, I would stay with the add ons and the alky. With the proper tuning and alky I would think you could push the short block to its limit so no need for the nitrous. If you had a stock turbo, intercooler, and others I would say nitrous. The nitrous would be doing the same thing that the big turbo, intercooler, and others would be doing (getting more oxygen into the cylinders so you can burn more fuel, it is just doing it a different way and cheap way if you ask me).

So I would stay with the alky if you already have the upgraded add ons, otherwise I would use Nitrous with stock setup.

As for the Thumbwheel you can use it with the alky as the others have stated. You can set it up for theft, valet, street no alky, street alky, emissions, mileage, and one for what ever else you can think of.

Chuck

Guys, I think I'm gonna go with you. I'm just going to get the alky. Chuck, don't think I'm still not gonna bother you when I get the thumbwheel now.

Chuck, I was told to get a Translator Plus with the alky. I know you can adjust timing and fuel, but isn't that the same thing you can do with the thumbwheel?

Yep,

But with the translator plus you have the computer able to measure grams of air past 255 (stock Maf's Limit) It will still be making adjustments past the 255 maf readings, so there is that advantage with it. I have not worked with the Translator Plus yet but from what I have read you can use the thumbwheel with the Translator Plus also. That way you can still have the theft and valet modes and adjust the setting on the fly still. With the addons you have I would think that you are pegging out the maf at 255 so there would definitely be an advantage to having the Tran Plus.

Chuck

Only if you also have the extended airflow chip. If not, the ecm limit is still 255 gr/sec.

TurboTR

I think that I will get the Translator Plus. Chuck do you use anything to hold more boost off the line? I was looking at the s-10 cylinders and softer shoes, but I also heard something that ronscustomauto.com has, a proportioning valve or something. If you know anything about this, what is better?

If you need the extender chip, then obviously I wouldn't be able to run the thumbwheel chip. What is there to do?

Mike,

You will probably hear of different ways of doing this but what I like is the stageright transbrake. The reason is if you go with the softer shoes and s10 cylinders it affect your everyday driving as does the proportioning valves. The proportioning valves you can adjust after you leave the track but then if you get caught on the street you are going without the extra boost off the line. The stageright trans brake you can use anytime, just shift it down to low and your ready to build boost. Just my way off thinking.

As to the translator plus, you still could use the thumbwheel but you are limited to the 255 maf reading. You can still tune using the the thumbwheel and still allow the extra size for more unrestricted air. Granted I wouldn't get it until I had extra cash to spend. Something I would check is if you could burn your thumbwheel in for you car then have Ramchargers use your setting and put in the patch for the extend readings. That way your chip will be tuned to your car.

Chuck

How consistent is the stage right? I just emailed Ramchargers to see if they can and how much, so hopefully they get back to me and hopefully it's not an arm and a leg to do.

The Stageright trans brake works very well, I think you would be happier with that setup. I have heard of guys pull 25lbs launches with it. I am not that gutsy but I think 8lbs launchs are fine.

Chuck

Chuck, Does it put any stress(I mean a lot of stress) on the trans? It's about $200 right? Is it fairly easy to install? How is it controlled, just a button inside the car? What kind of delay does it have?

Mike,

It does put more stress on the drivetrain, alot of guys have been using them with good results (as in not breaking things and building boost of the line). I would not pull the 25lb launches like I have heard some doing, but 8-10lb launches seems to keep it very reliable. They are fairly easy to put in. I would say if you can put in a shift kit that you could install the Stageright brake. One thing to remember if you were to install it is to preload the drivetrain when using it. That means when you stage the car hold the brake and give it gas to put a load up the drivetrain, then put the shift into low gear(which activates it). Build your boost and when your ready to launch, shift it into second. Hope that answers your questions.

Chuck

Answers it perfectly Chuck. I think I'll use the stage right. Are you running slicks or street tires on those 10lb. launches. Does it hook good?

Mike