Nos?

mike

My brother gave me his nitrous and I want to put it on my car. Can someone tell me what I have to change to accomodate. My car is set up to run mid 11's. Is it true that you can't run as high of boost with nitrous. Is nitrous bad if I'm only squirting 75 hp? What do I have to do with my timing. Should I get an alcohol kit also? Thanks for any help.

IMO if you are careful to run only racing fuel and make sure you retard timing by 2 deg/50 hp you will likley be ok, assuming the system has adequate fuel capability, the right jetting to maintain a rich a/f ratio, good mixing and distribution, etc.

FWIW I ran 28 psi + 75 shot on mine with no signs of undue stress to any components. The new HD motor will get alot more.

TurboTR

So, I would be able to shoot 75hp and have 25lbs. of boost? Would it also be a good idea to get an alcohol kit too?

Make sure you adj boost for the Nitrous also, 75hp shot will increase boost 2-3 lbs also. So if you are setup for 25lbs of boost without nitrous and don't adjust boost level it will go up to 27-28 lbs of boost. The Nitrous setup will draw a fair amount of fuel so make sure you have an good fuel system. And as stated before with a 75hp shot crank timing back 2-3 degrees. If you have some way to watch for knock it would be nice. A thumbwheel is nice in this situation to have one setting for the Nitrous, crank timing back, drop boost 2lbs. Also consider traction, you might need to getting the car moving before you can hit the nitrous because of the surge in hp or use a progressive control to bring it in over a second or two.

Chuck

If you are interested in selling it, I might have a friend that would want it.

I just have a few more questions. The thumbwheel that you are talking about-Is that the chip one? There is a company that sells the equipment and extra blank chips so you can burn them yourself, is that any good, do you think? My fuel system consists of 50lb. injectors w/7th injector. Not sure which pump but is external and pretty damn big. I was also thinking about getting fuel pump wiring upgrade and a volt booster. Would either help a little? I was also going to get DirectScan and Scanmaster. Would an alcohol injection system be any good? I really appreciate your help.

Mike,

The Setup I use is a blank thumbwheel from Caspers, and I burnt it with the setup from BM Computer Source. Bob there has a complete setup so you can burn your on chips. I did not know anything about chip burning this May when I bought it and with the help from Bob and Jim Testa I feel that I have a pretty good handle on burning chips, still have plenty to learn but I feel comfortable burning my chips and chips for my friends. I personal would run either the nitrous or the SMC akly system, not both. Again my person thoughts are to run the nitrous with stock turbo,stock intercooler, with upgraded fuel system, and beef up the engine internals or go with the upgrade addons and the alky system. The only time I would consider and am planning on running is alky on the gas side of the nitrous setup. Alky is more forgiving on the mixture (to rich) then gas and will burn cooler. Just my thoughts. I would definately get the direct scan and upgrade fuel pump wiring. If you have the upgrade fuel pump wiring I would wait on the volt booster to see if you need it.

http://www.bmcomputersource.com/

There's the link to BM Computer Source

Chuck

I was already looking at BM Computer, but since you said you got the thumbwheel, you just needed the equipment to burn, right? My car will be fine with the nitrous, TE 60, front mount ic, ported heads, and a bunch of other stuff? When I get the stuff from BM Computers, I'll probably be talking to you again to make sure I am doing everything alright.

Thanks again, Mike

Mike,

I will be glad to help you, when you burn the first one you could email the bin file and I can look it over and make any suggestions. I posted on the BM computer source bulletin board on how to burn the thumbwheel on Bob setup as well. I could also email you my bin file so you can use the compare option in the software to see what change I do.

Chuck

Hey Mike, Good luck gettin ahold of Wilkinshc, he's busy helping the rest of us to learn what we're doing burning chips and using DS!;)

Just kidding, Wilkinshc has been a great help, has a lot of patience too (good thing dealing w/ me!) Direct scan is great, so is the programs from BMcomputersource. Nothings better than being able to do your own chips (or knowing somebody that can)
Broke one of the legs on my chip trying to pull it out of the carrier last night, would have gotten pissed, but guess what? Blank chips are $1.75 from BGmicro.com! Ordered 10 of them (for now)

Sounds like wilkinshc knows his stuff. Hopefully soon I'll know a lot more about these turbos. You know all you guys are so helpful. I appreciate everything.

Hey Wilkinshc, when I get the thumbwheel I'll let you know, especially if I have any problems. It probably won't be for a little while though.

When ever your ready Mike. someday I will probably be asking you for help. :)

Chuck

Chuck, I was thinking and do you think it would be better to get an alky kit or use the nitrous. Some people said that if you've got a lot done like I got, get the alky. I would like to be able to run 20lbs. on the street on 93 but I'd also like to spray. In your opinion, what would you do?

If you have alot of bolt ons and a stock short block I personally would go with the alky system, not the nitrous.

Chuck

Ya know Chuck that is what I was kind've thinking too. Thanks again for your input, it helps out a lot.

Yes you can. Tell Steve Y. that you want to run alky. and he will set you up properly with timing and fueling.

Good luck.

Chuck, I was thinking again. I do that a lot, and I thought of something. Tell me how this sounds, get nitrous and alky. But only use the nitrous at the track and only use the alky on the street. Probably sounds dumb so let me know what you think.

IMO I would pick one or the other. It sounds like you don't have much tuning experience with eithier nitrous or alchy. Both of these setups would call for different tuning-defintely made easier by the thumbwheel. Inexperience tuning with nitrous can cause you some major problems when things go bad. Don't get me wrong on a mostly stock GN I really think it is awesome!! But if you plan on later doing mods like heads, turbo, etc, than I would stick with the alchy. Whatever you choose its all in the tuning so good luck and keep us posted.