normal oil pressure and coolant temp and exhuast leak

Jackie grabos

first, what is normal oil pressure? mine is 60 at start up and when cruising about 20-25 and will increase under acceleration. my coolant temp warms up to about 180 at start up and from 200-215 when driving. is this normal or too hot. i have an exhaust leak that needs to be fixed. it sounds like drivers side, but it gets much louder when car is being driven and running hotter. when i stop and car is at idle it quiets down. is this normal? i know more heat and exhaust will be created under driving conditions. just want to make sure she is not running too hot.

Your oil pressure sounds normal for the TR.

Your temp is on the warm side for my liking. Do you have a 160 degree thermostat? If not, that is an easy swap. If you are running the stock radiator (and plan to keep it) consider having it cleaned. There are aluminum options. I run an F-body radiator, dual fans and my temp (even in the Texas heat) never gets above 190.

Your driver side header is most likely cracked. That is normal for the TR over time. It can be fixed. Consider the TA stock replacement header. Get a rubber hose, put one side to your ear and chase the noise. You will be able to isolate where it is coming from. Don't overtighten the crossover to header bolts as if you go to far it will make the header connection out of round and generally can't be fixed.

pulled some coolant out and it's full of junk. i already replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensor. used autozone stuff hope that is ok, if not will replace. i am going to have the radiator flushed and hopefully this will solve the problem. thxs

be careful flushing the cooling system, especially if there's quite a bit of junk in the coolant already. I flushed mine and the next time I started it up, it blew out the heater core and I had a ton of coolant in places it shouldn't be!

Hi there,

may be you can help me answer a question regarding my GN's cooling system: I'm about to do a rad flush and wanted to use a flush chemical to remove the scales inside the radiator but was told that I should use distilled water? can you tell me if it's necessary to use distilled water.

Also I was going to replace the thermostat with a stock 180 degree, the car is all stock with no performance upgrades and is only driven during the summer months, do you think I should change from a 180 to a 160? by changing to a 160 would this hurt my gas mileage and performance?

Thanks for any advice

First off the 160 degree thermostat is a win/win. Secondly I haven't found a cleaner yet that will remove scale deposits from a radiator without attacking the metals. Get a new radiator and a flush kit from Autozone. Flush system and install new radiator. There are plenty of options on replacement radiators including the Fbody radiator.

might sound like a dumb question, but how do you flush the system? did not see any kits on a-zone website. i ordered an aluminum radiator today and 160 thermostat. can i not just fill it with coolant once hooked up? also when changing radiator it looks pretty easy, are there any tips i should not miss? thanks for the help. hope this will deal with the texas heat. been running from 200-215 and its not even that hot yet. i ordered the one on gn performance. is the stock fan going to be enough or do i need to order the duals?

also looked for a stock radiator replacement and the only one in houston they could find was 675.00 at firestone. that is a crazy price when you can get an aluminum one that cools better for half the price.

Any parts store should have the flush kit. Maybe even Walmart. It taps into heater core line. Hook up a water hose and it flushes the whole system.

Wait a minute, what is your oil pressure when cruising? 25-30psi? What RPM are you cruising at?

i would say going approx 60mph my rpm are around 2000 rpm. if i accelerate the pressure will increase. when stopped i have seen it go as low as 15-20 when the car is warm at a light sitting. is this bad?

15-20 is ok at low idle after the car has been driven for some time, but 25-30 when cruising at 2000rpm seems low. I think most usually see around 40psi at 2000rpm.

Running as hot as you say would thin the oil, hence lower oil pressures. Cool the engine down and oil pressure will increase. 25 or 30 psi at 2000 RPM is something I wouldn't put up with. Sounds like you have some miles on your motor. I'd definitely change to 20W50 oil for starters.

the car has 66000 miles. it sat for about 8 months in the garage before i bought it. bought it on ebay for 7300.00, so i took a shot in the dark. the carfax supports the miles. when i changed the oil i used 5w-30. i had some extra here with risoline and only going to run for about 1000 miles and change again to full synthetic. the oil that came out was black. will go with thicker oil and zddp. there are no leaks except exhaust leak, but no fluids leaking. once i install radiator and thermo will see if cooler temps help pressure. guy told me ac works but only blows through def vents and not cold. need to fix that a new power steering pump but the rest seems ok, besides needing new bushings and paint. cars starts right up and idles fine. running old atr chip so need to get new chip also but not sure what kind of set up i have. turbo is garrett 60 m-24 on side, front mount intercooler, ported heads, manifold etc. not sure what size injectors or fuel pressure. know it used to have alky system but was removed for some reason.

the car has 66000 miles. it sat for about 8 months in the garage before i bought it. bought it on ebay for 7300.00, so i took a shot in the dark. the carfax supports the miles. when i changed the oil i used 5w-30. i had some extra here with risoline and only going to run for about 1000 miles and change again to full synthetic. the oil that came out was black. will go with thicker oil and zddp. there are no leaks except exhaust leak, but no fluids leaking. once i install radiator and thermo will see if cooler temps help pressure. guy told me ac works but only blows through def vents and not cold. need to fix that a new power steering pump but the rest seems ok, besides needing new bushings and paint. cars starts right up and idles fine. running old atr chip so need to get new chip also but not sure what kind of set up i have. turbo is garrett 60 m-24 on side, front mount intercooler, ported heads, manifold etc. not sure what size injectors or fuel pressure. know it used to have alky system but was removed for some reason.

May want to reconsider.

first, what is normal oil pressure? mine is 60 at start up and when cruising about 20-25 and will increase under acceleration. my coolant temp warms up to about 180 at start up and from 200-215 when driving. is this normal or too hot. i have an exhaust leak that needs to be fixed. it sounds like drivers side, but it gets much louder when car is being driven and running hotter. when i stop and car is at idle it quiets down. is this normal? i know more heat and exhaust will be created under driving conditions. just want to make sure she is not running too hot.

the oil pressure is fine.

throw your radiator and thermostat out and get a aluminum radiator and 160 thermostate, this way you wont ever have to mess with it again. no good can come from a radiator flush...ever

check the drivers side manifold for a crack in between the last primary and the larger tube that collected the other two primarys. if its busted, gimme a pm, and ill weld it up for ya

cool, thanks. going to do radiator first. it should be here in couple of days. was going to pm you when about the exhaust leak. will let you know when i can set up a time to bring it in. thanks