noob turbo upgrade questions

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
Like the title says, I'm a turbo newbie. I've been following many threads regarding turbo upgrades, but I'm having trouble trying to decipher the various trims, wheel sizes and the like. What's the recommended turbo for a stock unopened long block/stock converter equipped street driven car with the mods in my sig? Based on what I've read it would seem the ta49 or te44 is a good choice, but I don't understand the difference between the two. Is a ball bearing turbo, or perhaps the ceramic cartridge equipped ones worth the coin? What about water cooled ones? Does anyone have a link that could school me?

Thanks for the response David, but are the wheels different sizes? Why is one a 49 and the other a 44? I can't see whether or not the inlet bell is removeable is all that important.

The TE44 and the TA49 both have 58mm compressor wheels....the 44 flows a bit more then the 49 but i'm pretty sure they are the same turbo.

Not knowing much about it, seems to me that if they were the same they would have the same numeric value, be it 44 or 49. I can see where the inlet bell could be TE or TA since one is integral and the other is not.

They are the same turbo. The only difference is the TA stock appearing compressor vs the TE E series compressor cover. The HP rating difference is based on the covers flow, but in the real world, it probably isn't any different. As far as the numbers go, it is just part of the old confusing turbo numbering system. A TE44/ TA49 is a great turbo for a stock engine. The biggest I would probably put on a stock engine would be a TE/TA61 (the old 61 , 59mm compressor 69 trim exhaust), it might make alittle more power over the 44/49 because of the larger exhaust wheel. Bigger won't make more power, just spool slower. With a stock converter, you will want a Garrett exhaust housing.

i know youre asking about turbos and i dont know if its cuz you blew one and need a replacement. but if the one you have is fine and youre only looking to upgrade then go with alky. the performance benefits would far outweigh an upgrade to a 49/44 on pump gas easily.

Thanks for the replies all. Alky is in the plan, and I'm just trying to learn what I can about turbo differences.