Noob to EFI here and have a Regal tank question

rfpowerdude

I figure y'all are the best source of info on what I want to do, so here I am. I hope that I am not being disrespectful of the Turbo Buick forums by coming in and asking an EFI gas tank question for an Olds Cutlass (see sig below).

Is there a source for new/used Buick tanks that I could use in my Cutlass for my big block EFI project? I want to buy a Buick tank already setup with the baffle and the in-tank pump that I can cutoff the filler neck and weld the Cutlass neck on. This will solve my pump/tank problem in one fell swoop. A Buick tank would be perfect.

Any suggestions from the EFI gurus out here or anyone who has done this?

Thanks!

The GN tank will be a bolt in item.

I figure y'all are the best source of info on what I want to do, so here I am. I hope that I am not being disrespectful of the Turbo Buick forums by coming in and asking an EFI gas tank question for an Olds Cutlass (see sig below).

Is there a source for new/used Buick tanks that I could use in my Cutlass for my big block EFI project? I want to buy a Buick tank already setup with the baffle and the in-tank pump that I can cutoff the filler neck and weld the Cutlass neck on. This will solve my pump/tank problem in one fell swoop. A Buick tank would be perfect.

Any suggestions from the EFI gurus out here or anyone who has done this?

Thanks!

I had a GN tank in my 87 Cutlas Supreme, when I bought the car. When I blew the motor I ended up using the tank in my regal, and it went in with no pproblem.

Hmmm, according to Bob Powers, the filler necks are at different angles from the Buick to the Olds.

robertpowersmotorsports.com/EFI_Pump.html

He did a conversion and found that the aftermarket tanks also don't have the correct baffle. Has anyone found an aftermarket tank that has the correct baffle? Maybe I can find a used GN/turbo Regal tank and put the Cutlass neck on...

As far as the Goodmark tanks, anyone have any experience with those? Quality?

buddy of mine at the auto salvage yard said the cutlass and regal are the same tank,only diffrence was the diesel cutlass tank was cutlass only....

I will have to check that out. I am pulling my tank this weekend. I should see if I can find a Buick one on the yard too.

According to the GM parts catalogs all NA G-body fuel tanks are the same.

So the turbo V6 Buicks got a different tank config? The reason I ask is because that is exactly waht I want to put in. The carbed everything doesn't have baffling like the turbo setup. Plus, I am doing EFI and want the GN/TT setup.

Anyone else have any insight?

Thanks all,

I am digging this up from the dead as I have a more urgent need for a tank now. Dusty B. is ordering a converter built for my 200-4R and the last thing I need for the car build now is an EFI ready tank. Above, someone said that all the NA GM fuel tanks are the same. However, I need to get a turbo app one. Is there anything different? I got on Gbodyparts.com and the only Buick tank listed is a naturally aspirated version with no baffle. I need to put in a tank that has the baffling and the fuel pump style pickup/sender/assy.

Anyone know what I need to do to find the right aftermarket tank for what I want to do? Is there a replacement tank out there for a GN/TT that already has the baffle, fuel pump and sender assy.?

Thanks all,

I bought a new turbo tank from rockauto.com and it has a baffle in it. Even though everyone says its not the right baffle, Ive launched with less than a quarter tank and have never seen the FP gauge bounce or anything...granted I don't make a habit of doing that nor would I run a day at the track with less than a half tank, but for a new tank and for the price its not bad, just be sure to order straps for it...

I am digging this up from the dead as I have a more urgent need for a tank now. Dusty B. is ordering a converter built for my 200-4R and the last thing I need for the car build now is an EFI ready tank. Above, someone said that all the NA GM fuel tanks are the same. However, I need to get a turbo app one. Is there anything different? I got on Gbodyparts.com and the only Buick tank listed is a naturally aspirated version with no baffle. I need to put in a tank that has the baffling and the fuel pump style pickup/sender/assy.

Anyone know what I need to do to find the right aftermarket tank for what I want to do? Is there a replacement tank out there for a GN/TT that already has the baffle, fuel pump and sender assy.?

Thanks all,

I recently converted my 1985 Grand Prix to a TPI, I used a new replacement tank from my local radiator shop. It didn't have the sump like a turbo Regal tank, but it does have a baffle on two sides of the pickup.

I used an external pump so I wouldn't have to source one of the expensive T.R. sending/pump units. I drilled the restrictor out of the vapor return on the original sending unit and used that as the fuel return. After that, I found that the fuel system was pressurizing the tank as the fuel heated up from passing through the engine compartment, so as a quick fix I drilled a 1/32" hole in the gas cap to allow the pressure to equalize with the outside. If I were to do that part "right" again, I'd keep the vapor return in the sender and install a fitting in the filler neck for the return.

I may still do something like that. I do have some concern about vapor leaking out of that hole and collecting under the back of the car. Not a problem now because it's so damn cold, but I'll be keeping an eye (or nose) on it.

i think all the G bodies that got fuel injection used the same tank- so a tank out of a Monte with a TBI 4.3 should get the job done.

Hi,
My '83, with '87 guts, went through a fuel tank change as part of the original swap. I remember the tank being slightly bigger, and needing the factory spacers to make the straps fit. I don't think I changed the straps, though. It was a lot of work to make my 83 into the equivalent of an 87, and without the donor car, it never would have happened.Thanks God for time ,energy, and the wherewithal to make it happen. I am now a happy camper. Good luck with your issues.

I went to rockauto.com and started poking around. It looks like the GN tank is available as a replacement. However, once I started looking at the pics of the tanks, I noticed that there IS a difference from the Cutlass tank. The only apparent difference IS the filler neck. To use a GN tank, the filler neck from the Cutlass will have to be used. Here are the comparison pics:

The Cutlass tank with neck
Cutlass_tank.jpg

The GN tank with neck
GN_tank.jpg

The Monte with 4.3 tank with neck
Monte43_TBI_tank.jpg

I guess that the rear fascia of the different marques is different enough to require different filler necks.

I am thinking that I will order the GN tank and order a new filler neck for the Cutlass app from rockauto.com. What sucks is that the GN pickup assembly doesn't show as aftermarket available on rock auto. In fact, it doesn't show for any of the EFI G-bod apps. I guess this is just not available aftermarket yet.

I guess I am still going to have to go 'yarding to get a pickup assy. that will work with the in-tank pump...

Anyone have any ideas for this?

I have seen the hangers available from only a couple of online stores, but only WITH a pump and level sensor, none that are just a hanger and level sensor... I want to say they were delphi, $300+ (for a gn), your best bet would be to get one from a board member that's in decent condition IMHO.

Thanks for all the replies people, I appreciate it.

I think the suggestion of getting a tank pickup assembly from a board member is an excellent one.

Anyone got one for sale? ;)