NON GN turbo related questions.

Doc_G

I've posted this on another forum thats my car specific (91 RS) but have yet to get a responce, so I figure I'll post it here and ask you guys the same

I admit it now at the very start of this post: I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TURBOCHARGER SPECIFICS. I understand the concept of how they make power, and I understand that they also take power to make power. I consider myself somewhat familiar w/forced induction, as I've worked a good bit w/it in the past. (granted it was an eaton m90 system on a v6 ford engine)

Now to to question I have. The other day CLICKETY was posted in one of the sections (forgive me I've slept and played w/my kids since then) and the OP was told this system was better off forgotten about. Why is that? What about it makes it a bad kit? Anyone feel like taking the time to explain it to me? I'm not looking for "BECAUSE IT SUCKS".. if it sucks so bad, what I want to know is WHY it sucks. What would need to be changed to make it worthwhile for the money?

The reason it would suck in my opinion,would be that a single namebrand turbo costs that much or more alone.I would not sink thousands of dollars into a short/long block only to have a (JEEPER) (THAT WORD IS FUNNY TO ME)turbo fly apart,or a wastegate not control things like it should.It may not be junk,but I would have to wait and save up for known namebrand parts.I know anything can fail,but I like to see a little history behind my parts.Just my .02.:cool:

Valid points, but as some point edelbrock was an un known name brand. I've noticed that unless its a name brand folks are afraid to try it. I'm not knocking that opinion or phylosophy (sic?) its just one I don't subscribe to lightly. Anyone else able to take a few shots at this kit?

I can't see the ad for some reason but my biggest suggestiong is ask around and try to talk to people that are running the product.

I agree with turbocam though, I wouldn't risk my $$$ on an unkown product plus risk more $$$ byond the price of the kit.

The reason it would suck in my opinion,would be that a single namebrand turbo costs that much or more alone.I would not sink thousands of dollars into a short/long block only to have a (JEEPER) (THAT WORD IS FUNNY TO ME)turbo fly apart,or a wastegate not control things like it should.It may not be junk,but I would have to wait and save up for known namebrand parts.I know anything can fail,but I like to see a little history behind my parts.Just my .02.:cool:

+1
Bottom line is that you get what you pay for. Or yet another, If something is too good to be true...it usually is. Now is I were young and just into fast cars, not to mention hard headed, I would probably ignore any advise because the kits looks all nice a pretty. It's probably made in China, and we all know that vehicle parts made there suck. Check and see if any other folks have used this kit. It seem odd that folks on your own forum are not answering your questions about the kit. Most kits like that with twin turbos are going to run you 5k plus easy. I also did not see any in that kit (unless I missed it) that deals with extra fueling or any type of engine management. You just can't bolt on a set of TT and not address fueling, timing and a host of other parameters..........good luck with that kit if you go with it. Check the comments left by other about the seller on e-bay. :cool:

+1
Bottom line is that you get what you pay for. Or yet another, If something is too good to be true...it usually is.

Very true, I can/do agree with you on that.

Now is I were young and just into fast cars, not to mention hard headed, I would probably ignore any advise because the kits looks all nice a pretty. It's probably made in China, and we all know that vehicle parts made there suck.

Well I'm no spring chicken, but I can be hard headed. I am not overly concerned w/pretty as much as functional.

Check and see if any other folks have used this kit.
I have emailed the seller to see if I can get some testimonials and pictures of the kit installed on my model car.

It seem odd that folks on your own forum are not answering your questions about the kit.

They have now, however I guess I was impatient (there's not alot of turbo guru's over there) so I decided I'd post my question here. I figured what better place than a turbo v6 forum to get good reliable turbo info. Thus far I've found that the headers that come w/the kit will not work for my application as it will put the turbos through the hood (me no likey that idea) and that the intercooler is smallish for twin turbos.

Most kits like that with twin turbos are going to run you 5k plus easy.

It was always my understanding that the most expensive parts of the turbo kits were the piping/intercooler/little misc. items/etc. Am I wrong in that?

I also did not see any in that kit (unless I missed it) that deals with extra fueling or any type of engine management. You just can't bolt on a set of TT and not address fueling, timing and a host of other parameters..........

The tuning and engine management will have to be taken care of by the dyno shop/engine tuner. I already know about having to upgrade the fuel pump, have an AFPR, and some other fuel management related goodies. I know that when I add any type of forced induction to my car that it will have to be retuned and allowances made for the different parameters involved.

good luck with that kit if you go with it. Check the comments left by other about the seller on e-bay. :cool:

He has 100% feed back, but it all relates to his shipping, or his communication unless I missed it I did not see an blemishes in his current feed back.

I do not know if I will try this kit. I basicly wanted someone who was more knowlegable than I (which, lets face it, is pretty much everyone here) on the subject to pick apart the above listed kit so that I would know if its worth it to purchase and change/upgrade the bad parts.

As stated I already know the manifolds aren't going to work for my app. and the intercooler is potentially too small. But what I don't know is If I can find all the rest of the kit for a reasonable price (I don't mind spending the money, but If I don't have to spend tons of it for name brand vs something thats just as good but less well known that makes my wallet happier over all)

My goals for the car are simple, I want a nice daily cruiser with the guts to get up and go if needed. I will be building this car for comfort and cruisablity w/the occasional trip to the track.

It was always my understanding that the most expensive parts of the turbo kits were the piping/intercooler/little misc. items/etc. Am I wrong in that?

A good quality non-BB turbo from Precision or Turbonetics will set you back about $900 alone, unless you find them used. It doesn't say anywhere on the ad who manufactures the turbos. I'd assume it's a Chinese made counterpart. If the quality is anything like the ebay Buick headers I would not risk putting something like that on my engine. I'm sure they work but for how long, I wouldn't take a chance.

Same thing with the intercooler...for reference a good quality turbo Buick intercooler from Precision, RJC, Cottons, etc will run ya at least $800.

Since you still need to fab a downpipe for that kit, I'd find a guy that can weld and have him fab the rest of the plumbing/piping and do a custom setup. :)

Well you guys are the only turbo experts I know of. 'Tis why I asked the venerable "turbo gurus" about the kit. Basicly the reason its so cheap is due to the inferior manufacture of the chinese goods. I can understand that, even respect that. Thanks for potentially saving me 1300 in wasted money.

Preciate it guys.

You are talking about a supercharger in this statement.

It was always explained to me that the turbo needs a given amount of exhaust to spin the turbine enough to start making power (Turbo Lag?) So the engine has to produce this exhaust, meaning it still takes power to make power w/a turbo. Granted its not as great a parasitic loss because its not comming from the crank shaft as w/a supercharger.

Is this incorrect info? I don't want to be the dumbass running around w/miss-information.