Noise is driving me f****** nuts!!!

87GNT

Has anyone come across this intermittent click/clack before at idle? I have changed the belt tensioner and alternator 3 times trying to get rid of it. Its so god **** annoying.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Youtube Link below:

Does it go away if you run it with the belt off?

If so start with easy stuff, check the window on your tensioner, your belt could be too long. Check pulleys, possibly the accessories bracket could be loose as well.

Does it go away if you run it with the belt off?

If so start with easy stuff, check the window on your tensioner, your belt could be too long. Check pulleys, possibly the accessories bracket could be loose as well.

Man thats a great idea to run with belt off...didnt even cross my mind....Ok I will try that today when I get home and also check other accessories and report back.

Thank you Slick TR!!!!

When you have the belt off take note of a few things. Spin/shake the water pump by hand, check the rotor bearing on the A/C clutch (part that free wheels), do the same for the P/S pump.

Noise sounds deep in tone so it could be a cracked or loose accessory bracket.

Also check that the belt is not stretched or wrong causing the tensioner to bottom out. With the belt off you can see that the tensioner pully can actually hit a stud that is situated between it and the A/C rotor pulley.

When you have the belt off take note of a few things. Spin/shake the water pump by hand, check the rotor bearing on the A/C clutch (part that free wheels), do the same for the P/S pump.

Noise sounds deep in tone so it could be a cracked or loose accessory bracket.

Also check that the belt is not stretched or wrong causing the tensioner to bottom out. With the belt off you can see that the tensioner pully can actually hit a stud that is situated between it and the A/C rotor pulley.

So the belt is brand new...could be that its too long perhaps? I asked for a stock one when I went to the parts store...Ok I will also check the AC although the noise happens when the AC is off and on...

FYI- The AC, PS pump and tensioner are all new. Perhaps I have a faulty one..

There is a gauge on the top of the tensioner that will give you an idea if the belt is too long. I have aftermarket aluminum pulleys and the diameter of the water pump pulley is smaller so the factory belt was too long. With the factory length the tensioner would barely bottom out and cause random noise.

There is a gauge on the top of the tensioner that will give you an idea if the belt is too long. I have aftermarket aluminum pulleys and the diameter of the water pump pulley is smaller so the factory belt was too long. With the factory length the tensioner would barely bottom out and cause random noise.

Wasnt aware there was a guage marking on the top of the tensioner. I will take a picture and post it here prior to taking the belt off to see if the noise stops..

I really appreciate all the advice

Ok so I took a picture of that marking...looks like the button is all the way down at the bottom????

Attachments

• Tensioner.JPG
    Tensioner.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 134
That's not what your looking for. That is the end of the internal tensioner spring

It is actually at the 3 O'clock position. Not a great photo but it is just to the right of the flesh colored object
20180817_094138.jpg

Yes but look a little closer and you will see another mark inside of the rectangle and I believe this is suppose to be ideal tension

Photo is a little deceiving, there is only 1 line where your seeing 2.
It's a recessed rectangle with 1 raised line within the rectangle

If you asked the guy behind the counter for a stock belt you probably got a 64" belt (60640) which is not the correct size if you have stock size pulleys. Stock sized pulleys usually takes a 63.5" belt (60635). The last 3 digits in the part number is the length. If you've got undersized pulleys then you can either measure with a string first (be sure to subtract 1/2" - 3/4" from whatever your string measurement is) or buy a couple in the next sizes down, see which one fits best, then return the rest.

If you asked the guy behind the counter for a stock belt you probably got a 64" belt (60640) which is not the correct size if you have stock size pulleys. Stock sized pulleys usually takes a 63.5" belt (60635). The last 3 digits in the part number is the length. If you've got undersized pulleys then you can either measure with a string first (be sure to subtract 1/2" - 3/4" from whatever your string measurement is) or buy a couple in the next sizes down, see which one fits best, then return the rest.

Great input...thanks

Yes, mine would bounce with the "stock" sized belt.

60635 or 6K635?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk