No turn/hazard lights!!!

seabeenugent

I have an electrical issue!
I am just getting my 87 GN on the road after a spun rod and main had it sidelined for a while. I am trying to get some break-in time on the rebuilt engine and transmission but I have no turn signals and no hazard's. I have replaced the turn signal relay and the hazard light relay and all fuses look good after testing both sides with a test light. The marker, tail and head lights work fine but if I push on the break pedal with the car running or not the right turn indicator lights up on the dash and the parking lights come on. This is making me think I have a bad ground some where but after checking them they all look good. What am I missing? The dreaded turn signal switch in the column?:confused:

Thinking your right

I'm thinking your right about the turn signal switch. Don't let it scare you. Goodluck Mike

Pull all the bulbs and check them. There are single and double filament bulbs- they all look the same...

This same thing happened to me when I got my car back from paint. I'd hit the brake and the parking lights would illuminate. turned out that some of the bulbs were mismatched...

good luck.

turn signals

When you said turn signals and hazard relay you meant the flashers?

Looksl like you got a shorted or burned out light bulb

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!
I got them working today!:) I put all new bulbs in it to make sure that they were good and it came to life. I didn't see one that looked bad but i guess one was. The only issue I have now is the flashers are very dim and blink slowly, I am going to put a new flasher relay in it and see if that does the trick.

If you have no brake lights but the center brake light still works then read on

Remove the cover at the dash under the steering column. Look on the right lower side you see a long connector with a white wire on the end that is probably burned into or not connected at all. Repair this wire to the connector and this should restore your brake lights. Now as to what causes this Check all 4 brake light bulbs and make sure that they do NOT say heavy duty or start with the numbers 20. The normal wattage for the brake light is 10 watts if you change this bulb to a heavy duty it will draw 20 watts hence that would be twice the amps for the circuit and this heats that wire under the column and burns it into. A 20 watt bulb has nothing to do with how bright it is.

David Ellis
David Ellis Real Estate
Dallas TX
972-849-8880

Pull all the bulbs and check them. There are single and double filament bulbs- they all look the same...

This same thing happened to me when I got my car back from paint. I'd hit the brake and the parking lights would illuminate. turned out that some of the bulbs were mismatched...

good luck.
same here....anyone with this problem make sure you changed your bulb with the right type ;)