No tail lights??? need help!!

sick GN

I was just driving the other day and out of nowhere my interior lights and my tail lights went out. I changed the fuse for the interior lights and it was OK but now it blew again and I don't have power to the fuse block at that point, also the tail lights do not turn on when I turn on the headlights. I do have brake lights, hazards, and turn signals, but they just don't go on when I turn on my lights. All of the fuses are good so I need some other help. Thanks

What do you mean exactly by interior lights?

The dome and front floor lamps or the dashboard panel lights?

That will help start the troubleshooting. :)

I'm at work & don't have the manual here. The dash lights in most cars are wired to the same circuit as the tail lights to give you an indication of a problem - if tail lights go out, the dash lights also go out.
There are many reasons to lose tail lights. I once on another car had a bare wire at the license tag intermittantly short out.

Thanks i'll check that but can you send me or tell me where else to look for a short, like maybe a fusible link or something?? thanks again

If you have headlights and the cig/clk fuse and the interior lights such as the dome lamp and glove box light work I don't think it is the fusible link B that is bad. It provides power to these things I just listed and the tail lamps and dash lamps.

There is another fuse for the dash lamps the 5 ampere fuse Inst/Lps fuse that is in series with the Tail lamps fuse that may need replacing.

If not prolly the light switch itself.

Further testing can be suggested if you restate the problem with exactly what works when on the car. :)

Everything works except the tail lights and the instrument panel lights. I checked the fuses and they are goo but i put a meter on the instrument lights fuse and it is no longer getting any power, I jumped the wire and got the instrument panel to work but when i do this the tail lights still do not work. When I replaced the fuse and turned on the lights the 2nd time there was a pretty bright flash and I blew the fuse for the rear lamps. I now have good fuses but no lights, and no power going to the fuse block for the instrument panel fuse. Hope this helps!!

Gotcha, doesn't sound good but my manual is home and I will research some more this evening.

it's the switch, mine is faulty and i have to keep flicking them on and off sometimes to get the dash lights on. i got pulled over one night for it and that's when i realized i had the problem. i'm just lazy and don't want to hassle with changing it.

Which switch are you talking about?? I did replace the switch that is the dimmer for the instrument panel lights and they still do not work, also why would the power for the fuse at the fuse block be dead?? Still looking for help. Thanks

i have the same exact problem. let me know if you fixed it. Mine is an exact replica of this issue.

I Had The Same Thing Happen To Me In My 86 Regal.....check Under The Steering Column , There Are A Group Of Wires On The Lower Column, Under The Dash.. Check If One Of The Wires Came Out Of The Group Of Wires.......my Regal The Wire Came Out And Caused The Brake Light Not To Work.......put The Wire Back And It Worked!!! I Hope It Works For You

Vince

There's a large conncetor in the trunk that carries all the wires for all the rear electricals. It sits down in the low well on the driver's side of the trunk and is a perfect place to get wet and corroded! Could cause short circuits and blowing fuses, etc.

I am not sure if this is the same thing, but, a very common problem on these cars is the wire for the shift indicator light. They always break and short to metal. When mine broke (twice so far) if you turned on the headlights the dash lights and the boost guage would go out. Turn the headlights off and the boost guage would work. I do not know if this affected the tail lights because I fixed the problem right away. If you have never repaired the shift indicator light I would check it out.

Steve