no start Question

Turbo317

ive been chasing a crank but no start for sometime now... i got a question on cam sensor voltage... alright on the middle wire (the one that supposed to have 7volts) where you prob to set the cam sensor. I ONLY have 5 volts there, is this not enough volts needed to start the car???? ....but i do have pulse, spark, and everything else...
thanks in advance

Using a noid light on the injectors is a good test of the cam sensor signal.

Also if the plugs are wet.

Check for spark as well.

no, i have pulse, spark.. and plugs are getting wet.. this is the only thing i can think of that maybe i have a prob... i only got 5volts on the wire to set the cam sensor, where gnttype.org says it should be 7volt.... i am wondering if that volt difference could give me a no start

I think i found it?

I was poking around looking at my crank sensor and i wiggle it and the bottom part of the mounting bracket is broke. could a broke crank sensor bracket cause me a crank but no start, yet i still have spark. i pulled off the sensor itself and it looks ok. but im gonna get a new sensor and bracket see what happens. anyone ever come across anything like this??

If the crank sensor is not working you would not have spark and you would only have the fuel that you get from the two second prime that we get when the key is turned on (after being off for more than at least five seconds).

Are you sure you have spark?

If yes, is the spark consistent on all six? (only have to check three on one side) - What I'm getting at here is the reliability of the crank sensor - maybe you get enough signal for a a few sparks here and there - does not seem like a probable situation but since you found a broken piece...

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and look for problems. Pressure should come up and stay up and hold for at least 20 minutes after the key is turned off. Also, if the crank sensor is not working the fuel pressure will drop off and not return. You will get the fuel charge by turning on the key, but the fuel pump will not start again if no crank sensor signal is seen so the pressure will fall back - I believe the injectors will fire from the signal on the cam sensor thus causing the fp to drop back (not 100% on the fall back because of injector /cam sensor)

That could cause a no-start, replace it for sure. Make sure the three "swipers" (reluctor tabs) on the balancer are NOT bent and be sure to adjust your new crank sensor to 0.020" side clearance on the swipers. Most here use a piece of 2 liter pop bottle for a gauge. As for voltage on the cam sensor circuit, I don't *think* the value is all that important, just be sure it rises and falls whenever the reluctor wheel "window" passes through the hall effect sensor inside the cap. A cam sensor set incorrectly will show fuel and spark, but no start.

checking coil pack

Check ALL the outputs on coil pack! I just replaced mine cause I had 2 that weren't firing while the opposite side was firing correctly! The 2,4,6 all fired as well as 1,while 3 fired some and 5 was dead! I wouldn't have believed but I just had it happen to me.