No start not cranking

big_buick

student of speed
Hey guys, I've hit a bit of a dead end in my diagnostics and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

87 GN - when you turn the key there is nothing not even a click.

Bench tested starter and it works fine. Getting power from the battery, fusible links on the other wires that mount to the constant + stud are ok.

No signal at the switched ignition wire that mounts on the small stud on the solenoid. The purple wire from the ignition switch is getting 12v. when key is turned.

So what failure points are between the ignition switch and solenoid?

Thanks.

If the theft deterrent option is present there is that. Otherwise there is only the C100 bulk head connector, pin E4.

RemoveBeforeFlight

are your dash lights coming on when you turn the key?

Yes, they go on with the key foward in acc (dig. dash) first they were turning off when turned all the way to start but now stay on. What would it mean on vs off?

Also no theft deterent (solid purple wire, right?)

NSS open? When you move the shifter the column turns close to the dash. It should anyway. Grab it with your hand and turn all the way to left. Start it up. :)

Rick

No NSS switch on our Regals, it is a mechanical interlock that prevents the key from turning to the crank position.

With no theft deterrent, the heavy purple wires goes from the ignition switch to the C100 bulkhead connector. From inside the engine compartment over to the starter solenoid.

No splices inline either, the wire originates at the ignition switch and goes to the bulkhead connector (C100, near fuse block), through the firewall and then on to the starter S terminal. If there is power going into C100, and not coming out, then the contact in C100 is burned.

Of course, if there was an alarm installed at some point in the past, all bets are off...

RemoveBeforeFlight

I think I got it. Short in the purple wire behind the motor (easiest place, of course). Power everywhere it should be on the meter, we'll see what happens when the starter goes back in...

Thanks everyone.

I had the same problem with the previous owner putting in an alarm system I had to yank of the alarm system wiresout. allby the steering column you have to drop it. and solder all the wires back together that they cut to put the cutoff relay in for the alarm
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app