No start/dying issue...bad translator?

sams86gn

car has been running fine until about 2 weeks ago. I was pulling up too a stop sign and the car just shut off. It would not start back up initially but after sitting for about 2 minutes I tried again and it cranked back up and ran fine. It did this one other time since then, sitting in park in my driveway. Yesterday I pulled the car out too wash it. Cranked up fine and idled fine. After I washed the car it would not start. I popped the hood and the translator was full of water (lost the cover and have yet too locate a replacement). I dumped all the water out and blew it out with my air compressor. It cranked up but was idling pretty rough. Would the translator be permanently damaged from water like that and if it had been wet before could it have been causing my car too shut off randomly? Is there a way to check the translator or a way too check the LS1 maf sensor too see if it is working properly?

if you got all the water out, the translator may be ok. Corrosion is the big worry there.

send me a PM if you need a lid for the unit.

Bob

Let me tell you a story!!!

Years ago I was at a street shoot out, buick running good. Made a couple of passes to tune.
First qual pass buick runs like it was on fire, about 900' car seems to spit slightly never thought anything about it.
pulling down the return row I noticed the temp raising up over 200 never happens on my car.
sure enough head gasket. I topped it off with water and ran it the rest of the weekend.
I started looking at my direct scan log and noticed after looking very closely at it I found the MAF went to zero under 22lbs of boost so car went lean.
After chasing the problem for a while I found that there was water rolling around in my translater which had caused some corrosion and ultimate failure.

Moral of the story is get that thing sealed and covered. Contact Bob I am sure for a couple of bucks he would be more than happy to send you a new cover.

FYI the head gasket was only the beginning, It was pretty surprising when I pulled the front cover off pulled the cam and the #1 cam bearing fell out. Then I found the extent extent of the damage was a split block, split #2 main cap and destroyed crank. When tearing the block down, removed the main cap and set it on the bench and it fell into 2 pieces.

Thanks for the story, now I'm worried that if corrosion has taken place the same will happen too me haha. I don't see any corrosion but the lid has been off for atleast 6 months and I'm sure it's gotten wet when I wash the car every time. Maybe Bob can check it if I send it too him or something.