No Start Condition, Need Help In Mesa, Arizona

I emailed you a while back about some emissions problems that I was having with my GN. I never got a return. No big deal though, I'm sure it was overlooked on purpose.

Is this a typo or are you trying to piss off someone that could help you? :confused:

Anyhow, I called him this afternoon, and he said that the problem is the timing chain. He asked me if I was having any problems with it running bad before, but I didn't experience anything that was worth noting. I hope I didn't toast the entire engine, the situation has got me terrified now?

How would I know if I really screwed the whole engine up? Because when it happened, the car just shut off and didn't make a great deal of pinging noises or anything.

Why does he think it's the timing chain? At this point I'd want a good reason before letting him pull the front cover.

Is this a typo or are you trying to piss off someone that could help you? :confused:

Why does he think it's the timing chain? At this point I'd want a good reason before letting him pull the front cover.

I'm not trying to piss anybody off bro, that's how it happened. I mean the guy is human, he probably just forgot to return the email. Like I said, it's not a big deal to me at all. I'll definitely be going to him if my mechanic can't fix the problem. Definitely didn't mean any disrespect though, stop being so sensitive man.

I'm a sensitive kind of guy. :D
To clarify, when you write "I'm sure it was overlooked on purpose." it sounds like you are talking sh!t. :confused:

Regardless, good luck with your motor. I hope it's a nothing major and changing the timing chain takes care of it. At 100k it was time for a new chain no matter what!

These engines are not interference engins. IE a broken timing chain while driving normally will not hurt the engine. However it maybe a good idea to drop the oil pan and just make sure all looks good, clean out the pan. Good to do during the front cover change anyway. Hope this helps. If you have a good mechanic, timing chain should be easy. Just have him use stock replacement from speed pro.

Sorry and don't mean to be a jerk but you are dead wrong...jumped/broken chain in these motor can cause major problems...mainly bent valves...have seen it quite a few times...

I would never argue with anybody, well yes I would if I know I am right. I have seen things happen that others havent either. However i perrsonally have never seen it on a stock setup. That does not mean it cant happen. The cam lift and low compression dish pistons would seem to require some very odd forces. Now Broken rods, dropped valves even a seized valve once and I have seen some interference but these were usually not stock or pushed to ever llivin limits. If you ever have one please feel free to send me pics. I am always wanting to learn more.

Well if you want to see it for yourself...next time you change valve springs...bring the piston to TDC...remove the spring...then see how far the valve will drop...maybe 1/4"...so that's .250...even on a stock engine the max valve lift is more than that...so the chain jumps or breaks...piston hits TDC and the valve is fully open...guess what happens...if someone has a chain break or jump then they are lucky if they come away with no bent valves...these engines are valve benders...

I just must not have run into this myself on a stocker. Good info though as I will have to check it out. I can however say I have seen it in other arenas with unstock plants. Seems weird that myself I have never had this in either a turbo or non turbo buick V6 and you apparently have seen it more than once. Ahh goes to show that you cant know it all I guess. Thanks for the info.