No start and VATS

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
Thought i'd share troubleshooting tip.

When you first put the key in, the "Security" illuminates then after a bit turns off. If this happens.. the VATS recognized your key.

If you turn the ignition "ON" and the "Security" doesnt illuminate.. then the VATS did not read the chip in your key. Typical cuases for this is dirty contacts on your key "CHIP" or dirty contacts inside the ignition cylinder. If not... the wires on the Ignition lock cylinder have broken.

So if your "Security" turns on.. then off.. you have an all clear for your starter to recieve the starter voltage from the ignition key. If your car does not crank and passes the security test, then its bad starter or low voltage to solenoid on starter.

Hope this thread helps someone.

If your VATS takes a dump will the car be dead or will it just crank? Thats some great info.

Jason

Quiky One said:
If your VATS takes a dump will the car be dead or will it just crank? Thats some great info.

Jason

Will not crank. All works except engaging the starter.

The rest of the story....

I have the feeling there is a colorful story behind this tip....What is it? :)

I had the VATS issue and bypassed its relay.. cuase I didnt want to tear into the column.. this happened in BG so I had no access to a cylinder anyways.

Last Sat nite.. as soon as I crank the car to leave the track.. the Ignition lock jams in the "ON" position.. guess the stupid little VATS wire got jammed in the cylinder.. anyways got home had to unplug the ECM plug to shut the engine off.. and disconnect the battery to not let it run the battery down.

Guess being lazy when I developed an issue led to the lock issue :redface:

:) Same thing happened to me when I bought the car. happened in florida about 50 minutes south of Ocala. I live just west of Chicago ILLinois. that was one long night and expensive tow. New it was gunna happen was just figuring I could get it home. Just a little bump on the road to happiness. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ken