no spark

LBNJWE4

I am trying to get an 84 hot air running for the first time and I am not getting any spark at the coil pack. Is there a way to test wether it is the coil pack or ecm? The fuel pump is not coming on either I was told that could be part of it.

I am trying to get an 84 hot air running for the first time and I am not getting any spark at the coil pack. Is there a way to test wether it is the coil pack or ecm? The fuel pump is not coming on either I was told that could be part of it.

Did you run through the diagnostic tree from the link in the sticky? :confused:

i had this same problem after changing my fuel pump- when i noticed that my check engine light wasn't coming on with the key, i looked at the ecm fuses- which were good- and unplugged the ecm. the pin for the main power to the ecm had broken off.
my fix was to upgrade to an 87 ecm i got for $35- but i still need to get that turbotweak chip.

Did you run through the diagnostic tree from the link in the sticky? :confused:

No, but thanks, I didn't even realize it was there! I will definitely try it. I tried the vortex one and it led me to believe that I had a good ecm, then further down it said it was bad, so I am going to borrow one to test it. And I will try your diagnostic tree also.

I had a problem getting my '85 with a new GM crate motor to refire. I had fuel pressure, but no spark. I tried everything!!! Kevin's crew at KDK in Orlando figured out it was a bad pin at the ignition module. Try spaying some contact cleaner on the harness at the ignition module and rub it down gently with an old toothbrush.
The fuel pump may be due to a bad selenoid, located on the pass. side of the engine bay. It's a cheap part, give it a chance. I also had a problem with my fuel pump, the selenoid was the solution.
An easy way to check out your coil pack and ignition module is with Casper's test kit.