No Spark????

tscruggs

1KWIKGN
A week ago, I was driving the car to my new house, cruise control set at 75 and 62 miles into the trip the car backfired and quit running. There is no spark at the plugs/wires. The car tripped a code 51 (bad eprom, ecm). I replaced the ecm to no avail. Could the coil pack have blown? Where do I start? I missed Bowling Green thsi year because of this problem. I have went through 5 ecms in 19 months. Wiring all checks good. What else could it be? T-top car stored in garage, etc. :mad:

Could be corroded connector on your ecm. T-top cars are notorious for corrosion. Could also be bad grounds. Check the orange power lead from the battery to the computer. Going through that many ecms, sounds like you have a wiring issue.

Mike, THANKS!!!!! The ground on the orange wire, etc appear good. The first time this happened, there was some corrosion evident on the ecm; however, since then none has been evident. I had a group of Auto Engineers from LSU look over the car and they concluded that it was not a wiring issue, but I just kept getting bad ecms. What???? I just think that it must be a wiring issue and it is just ittermittent or something.

.............. I had a group of Auto Engineers from LSU look over the car and they concluded that it was not a wiring issue, but I just kept getting bad ecms.

That was the second mistake! :tongue:
The first one was driving it to them ............ LOL :biggrin:

Seriously though, check the crank sensor and fuses first.
Also make sure your balancer is tight and did not ruin/break the crank sensor.

Edit:
Try this as well.
Engine Cranks But Won't Run - '86/'87 3.8L Turbo

Jerryl; You are AWESOME!!! I have checked fuses, etc. I will check the crank sensor - did not think about that. THANK YOU!