no spark -- help me figure out why! i have injector pulse, but no RPM signal!

Ah! I checked the negative battery cable, and it wasn't connected to anything! No wonder that little ground strap on the back was getting hot -- it was carrying the current for all the electronics on the motor!

However, after hooking the neg. cable back up, the car still won't start. Do you think not having an adequate ground could have fried the ignition module or the ECM?

Did you drain and change the oil since you said it had fuel in it and the spark plugs are they still soaked with fuel?

You might want to go back through the flow chart now that you have a good ground.

Does the small ground wire on the back of the engine still get hot while cranking the engine?

The rear ground cable does not get hot anymore. I didn't have a helper today though, so I wasn't able to test for spark or injector pulse. I'll just do the flowchart again, and if worse comes to worse and the module is fried, its still under warranty. I hope nothing happened to the ECM though.

check all the body grounds

I would check the body grounds since you have smoked the small ground from the firewall to the head. I would check the small ground the hooks into the neg battery cable to the inner fender. My bet is that it's fried also. Power seeks the path of least resistance. I would replace the ign module witha known good one along with ecm.