No / Slow boost after backfire. Help!

Gixer1k

Okay guys, I’ve been chasing this problem and reading as much as I can find for almost a month now, but to no avail. I purchased this TR last fall and have been very happy with it so far. I have literally done nothing to the car except change the oil and clean it up. I have only driven it about 150 miles so far. There was an owner in the middle but, the car originally belonged to Dave (Wazvette), motor & trans was put together by Discostu & JDfastGN, and as I said the car runs VERY well.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/fully-built-street-gn-hardtop-gt70hpq-priced-to-go.300020/

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/87-grand-national-hardtop-650-whp.360293/

Anyway, after having the car out for about a 30 minute drive, (read in; easy cruise, fully warmed up), I lay in to the throttle at about 5o mph in drive, I feel the car downshift and, POP, a single not excessively loud backfire. I immediately pulled out of it and cruised for about a mile listening and checking everything, (gauges, scanmaster, etc.), looking for anything wrong. Finding nothing I repeat the experiment ;) , this time as I put the throttle down the car accelerates smoothly, but no boost for about 5 - 6 seconds or until the rpm's reach about 4000 rpm. I try it one more time with the same results. No smoke, no weird noises (hissing, whining, grinding, etc.), nothing unusual except no boost until the upper rpm range. Once the boost eventually comes on, the car pulls hard, but doesn't seem quite as strong as before, (might just be me) and when I let out of it I still hear the wastegate fluttering. Over the past several weeks I have checked many things, (boost hoses, clamps, vacuum lines, fuel pressure, volts, plugs, wires, blowby, etc. etc. etc.). I also recorded a powerlogger file and compared it to previous runs. The only difference is the boost coming up SLOWLY. Everything else seems fine and as I said, so far I have changed nothing. Today I pulled the wastegate actuator, checked the wastegate movement, and the actuator movement. The actuator seemed strong, (pulled hard and pulled back quickly). One interesting note, on the test drive today when nothing improved, I completely disconnected the boost line to the actuator and got the same results. I am left to feel that the problem has to lie in the wastegate, actuator, or turbo, but I don't like just throwing darts at a problem and hope I hit it. The wastegate actuator seems logical, but... Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.. Thanks. Dave.

Thanks Rick, but nope. One of the first things I checked & now re-checked, I looked at all the clamps and boots as well. All RJC stuff. The boost does come up, eventually,, peaks around 25 psi.

Make sure the wastegate is not hung open. Also check for pre turbo exhaust leak. Like on the cross over joints. I've seen the crossover crack too......

Thanks for the responses. Wastegate moves freely, no resistance at all. It does seem to have a bit more end play than I would expect, maybe 1/4". Negative on any exhaust leaks or cracks, (passed the smoke test, and I feel beeter too.. :D). I noted on the test drive today that there is almost no boost until the very top of first, then instantly shifts to second and boost disappears with the rpm drop, (a second gear chirp at best), then as second pulls up in the rpm, boost comes back slowly to the top end where it is pulling very strong (almost normal?), then when it shifts into third it seems to hold full boost and pulls hard as ever???? When the car was running well, (pre-pop) boost came up quickly and you had to ease into the throttle in 1st or 2nd to keep from blowing the tires off. Obviously I cant pull three gears just anywhere :rolleyes: , but I want to get the laptop in it later on and run a power logger file on it and see whats happening different in 2-3 that isn't in 1-2. Do you think this could be an issue with the wastegate itself? I am tempted to pull the downtube off tonight just to check. Thanks again for the help.

The puck on the downpipe could be stuck closed. Is that part moving freely?

He just said the w/g moves freely....If it was stuck shut, there would be a boost spike, not a loss.

My mistake I thought he was saying as if he unhooked the w/g from the puck and he was moving it that way.

I was chasing a problem a while back and I had wire tied shut my wastegate to see if it was getting a good seal. It wouldn't spike or lose boost but would slowly climb like it had serious turbo lag.

My mistake I thought he was saying as if he unhooked the w/g from the puck and he was moving it that way.

I was chasing a problem a while back and I had wire tied shut my wastegate to see if it was getting a good seal. It wouldn't spike or lose boost but would slowly climb like it had serious turbo lag.

What did you do to correct that issue?

Thanks for the responses. Wastegate moves freely, no resistance at all. It does seem to have a bit more end play than I would expect, maybe 1/4". Negative on any exhaust leaks or cracks, (passed the smoke test, and I feel beeter too.. :D). I noted on the test drive today that there is almost no boost until the very top of first, then instantly shifts to second and boost disappears with the rpm drop, (a second gear chirp at best), then as second pulls up in the rpm, boost comes back slowly to the top end where it is pulling very strong (almost normal?), then when it shifts into third it seems to hold full boost and pulls hard as ever???? When the car was running well, (pre-pop) boost came up quickly and you had to ease into the throttle in 1st or 2nd to keep from blowing the tires off. Obviously I cant pull three gears just anywhere :rolleyes: , but I want to get the laptop in it later on and run a power logger file on it and see whats happening different in 2-3 that isn't in 1-2. Do you think this could be an issue with the wastegate itself? I am tempted to pull the downtube off tonight just to check. Thanks again for the help.

"endplay"....?

time to pull the downpipe off. Sounds like your wastegate puck is gone.

Bob

X4

If you take the wastegate off of the puck arm and swing the arm back and forth quickly, you should be able to hear the puck rattle around on the arm...if it's still there. Also, if the puck came off, the puck arm should swing further inward toward the flange than it usually does. A normal puck arm should come to rest parallel to the downpipe flange.

2013-03-30_16-36-43_479.jpg

We have a winner! Puck is MIA. :) I am still counting my blessings as it appears the turbine is untouched. A HUGE THANKS to everyone for the help!! Now,,, as my Dad used to say, “no good deed goes unpunished”. I’ll move on to the next question(s). It appears that the puck just bolted to the arm. Is this so, and if it is, does anyone know where I can get a replacement puck? The wastegate hole in the housing is 1 1/8”. I have combed thru my notebook of receipts and of course I don’t have one for the downpipe. Can anyone identify it? The downpipe looks like RJC's 3” but thats just comparing pictures. I already looked on RJC’s website and found their replacement wastegate assembly, but sure would rather just bolt on a new puck if possible. Any thoughts? Again, a sincere thank you to everyone for their input. I owe you one.
RJC W/G replacement;
http://rjcracing.com/product/exhaust-systems-2/flanges-weld-bungs/
#RJC-WGA

Attachments

• 2013-03-30_16-37-34_844.jpg
    2013-03-30_16-37-34_844.jpg
    889.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 2013-03-31_14-14-06_278.jpg
    2013-03-31_14-14-06_278.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 232
  • 2013-03-31_14-14-27_637.jpg
    2013-03-31_14-14-27_637.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 202
You & Bob are the winners!! I just get the Bill.. Unless theres a pretty girl involved, then I must be pesent!!
Thanks for the info Riff Raff, Are you trying to tell me, "Houston we have a problem!! :D Sorry...
Annnyway,,,, Talked to Jason @ RJC, Got the new wastegate assembly on the way. Looks like fairly minor surgery!