No shift under wot at redline

ladodgers8

86 Grand National won't shift under wot. If I back off of it, it'll shift fairly well. I did search the forums and came back with it shifting late... not at all... but not anything as specific as I could find. Fluid was 1.5 qts low, but problem persisted after correcting. Sorry if this is a repost! Thanks in advance.

86 Grand National won't shift under wot. If I back off of it, it'll shift fairly well. I did search the forums and came back with it shifting late... not at all... but not anything as specific as I could find. Fluid was 1.5 qts low, but problem persisted after correcting. Sorry if this is a repost! Thanks in advance.
Do you have the skills to remove the valve body and replace a spring?

I've been fixing and toying with cars for 20 years even working as a wrench for a couple years, but never have even opened a transmission. That sounds rather uncomplicated as you explain it. I'll look into it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok,it will shift if you let off the gaz a little..

Have you tried adjusting the Throttle Valve cable? I know with other GM cars of the same era,you push the button in on the throttle body end,then push the cable housing in. Then you step all the way to the floor hard. (engine off,of course) You'll hear/feel clicks as it adjusts...

Possibly this would apply to our cars as well.

I hope this helps.

Steve from Albany,NY. '87 GN,t-tops.

I've been fixing and toying with cars for 20 years even working as a wrench for a couple years, but never have even opened a transmission. That sounds rather uncomplicated as you explain it. I'll look into it. Thanks for the quick reply.
You'll need to remove the valve body and replace the TV limit valve spring with a weaker one. You'll also need a way to measure the strength of the springs. I use a kitchen scale.

You'll need to remove the valve body and replace the TV limit valve spring with a weaker one. You'll also need a way to measure the strength of the springs. I use a kitchen scale.

After giving a call to Dave Husek, who is only a couple of hours from here, I've decided to let him rebuild the thing. It sounds like he's forgotten more about transmissions than I could ever hope to know. I knew the tranny was probably blown when I bought the ride, so not a shock. I was just hoping that it was something dumb. I did try to adjust the tv cable according to multiple sources here, but it made no difference no how. Dave did explain to me what was going on, but it was greek to me. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Just sounds like the governor spring came out...easy fix, and the valve body does not have to come off.