No second gear?!?!?!?!?

techniques

The other day I was driving my car down a side road w/ a friend and I was "having some fun" I had the car in regular drive (out of OD) And when I florred it from a dead stop the car will take off no problem but next thing I know the engine & turbo are revved to redline but the car isnt going any where:eek: :confused:

So I hit the brakes, and put the car in 1st gear-- and it took off no problem... but when I put it in 2nd, she fell right on her ass again. It just wouldnt go any where. But if the car is in D or OD, it will drive fine as long as I dont punch it. Because when I do, Ill have to floor it until it almost redlines, then get off the gas for a second then floor it again in order to get it to shift!!! What the heck is up w/ that? Im a Ford Tech so Im used to AOD's,C-4's & C-6"s. So can you 2004R Gurus please help me?!?!?

It could be the second gear clutch band is worn. I had similar symptoms and that is what is was. Our trans guy explained that you can grab hold of thre chuck of a slow spinning power drill and stop the drill. But when you try that with the drill at high speed, you can't grab and hold it. He explained the trans in the same way and under little throttle, the clutch band can hold but under full power it can't. Good luck. Paul

Well that freakin' sucks. I was planning on rebuilding it this fall but that kind of throws a wrench in my plans. Is it still safe to drive around like this? Or should I park her until I get arount to fixing it? Also while Im here, I might as well ask another question. When I rebuild the tranny, I was going to go w/ a BRF style servo and gov. also I was going to go w/ a shift kit--who has the best kit-PTS or B&M, or who?

Meanbuicks

Also Meanbuicks,
I tried to mail you about the testpipe you have for sale on your site but it kept bouncing back:confused: If you still have it could you please send me your mailing info and a shipping quote for ZIP 53216 to mrgathings@yahoo.com
Thanks

Yep Band bye bye

Band is toast. Butter it...

Bruce
WE4

Hey Bruce,
Do you carry this part? If so looks like Ill be getting one w/ a rebuild & shift kit!

I got it.

whenever you are ready. Let us know...

Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME

Nah,
Chris you walk around naked on a tropical island and scare all the other tranny guys. :)
I need to win the lotto so I could build me a house and shop out in the boonies and actually get some of my projects done....
That 40 hours a week I work takes time away from my projects but I need to work 80 to get enough dough to do them....
Never ending.
If I win the lotto I'm gonna make the rounds and come hang out a month at each of you guru's shops so I can learn.

burnt second gear

One of the most common problems is it all started with a cavitation problem due to fluid starvation at the pick up on hard accelerations. WHEN you do rebuild it, make sure you get a pan kit with a low rear filter sump kit for it. Mark :D