No oil pressure!

rb68rr

Sometimes when I start my car I won't have any oil pressure for 5 to ten seconds and then it jumps up and is fine! This morning it won't come up at all! Even after starting three different times! What's going on? Loose pickup tube or what? Thanks, R.B.

How can you go from good oil pressure when I parked it last night to zero the next morning???

Add about 4 qts of oil and try again. The added oil may be enuf to cover the loose pickup tube, and allow psi to come up..
Or, there may be crud over the screen. Had any timing chain, head gasket failures??

does it have any oil in it at all?? either out of oil, excess bearing clearance(5 secs for pressure to come up), clogged pick up or elsewhere...

you could try disabling fuel and ignition (unplug ecm wire by battery) disconnect turbo oil feed and have someone crank it while you're holding a container underneath and see if you're getting any oil out of it....

I'll try that! It is full of oil with electrical gauge! No head gasket problems! Did have water pump replaced about a year ago!

I put 2 extra quarts of oil in it and it didn't help! It's a pf47 filter! How hard is it to drop the pan?

you could try disabling fuel and ignition (unplug ecm wire by battery) disconnect turbo oil feed and have someone crank it while you're holding a container underneath and see if you're getting any oil out of it....
did you try this??

I think I need a front timing cover! I've heard some bad stories on certain ones! Who's got the best and how much are they? Thanks, R.B.

I think I need a front timing cover! I've heard some bad stories on certain ones! Who's got the best and how much are they? Thanks, R.B.
the best to me, is the stock piece. I have tried 3 of the fancy ones over the years and have always gone back to stock.

And where did you get them and how much?

Get a TA Performance Front Cover and be done! These are the best available at this time.
They machine these in house to much tighter tolerances than the GM covers.
I bought one in December and installed it over the winter. Put in new Melling oil pump gears while I was at it. Set the oil pump clearances on the front cover before installation. I haven't fired up the car yet....but got 55-60# oil pressure on my VDO oil pressure gauge while cold cranking on the weekend (with ECM plug removed at battery). If you don't want to bother with setting one up, TA Performance offers one already blue printed & ready to bolt on. Just costs a few BUCK$.

dave

Get a TA Performance Front Cover and be done! These are the best available at this time.
They machine these in house to much tighter tolerances than the GM covers.
I bought one in December and installed it over the winter. Put in new Melling oil pump gears while I was at it. Set the oil pump clearances on the front cover before installation. I haven't fired up the car yet....but got 55-60# oil pressure on my VDO oil pressure gauge while cold cranking on the weekend (with ECM plug removed at battery). If you don't want to bother with setting one up, TA Performance offers one already blue printed & ready to bolt on. Just costs a few BUCK$.

dave
x2....i've had the TA cover for about 8 years..one of the first mods i did...

I agree with Dave on the TA cover being the best available, but before you replace yours, it would be best to find the problem. :eek:

An engine does not just go to 0 psi oil pressure overnight?

You mentioned the possibility of a loose pick up tube, and it can be that or another issue like a broken gear, or the pin in the cam sensor sheared?

I have had many different issues to deal with in these cars, so take a step back and go through an organized plan to find what is wrong.

If you want help with a plan, feel free to call me. :)