no mufflers straight pipes

the wrath

how loud would the car be with straight pipes no mufflers not cat 2.5 inch pipe all the way back and will there be a perfomance gain for this my friend has f---wmasters on her car and i dont know of a good cheap muffler with good performance remember i said cheap if you know of any please give part numbers and sources of parts

probably not all that loud, i do know a few guys here have straight pipes on their cars. Even with my dump open my car is quieter than a lot of rustangs around here. If you just want a performance gain look into a dump pipe, you just need a little warning before you race someone, or do a dump and an electric dump valve. you can run full quiet exhaust so no one suspects your car is fast, hit a button and run louder and faster.

but yes, loosing a muffler will make you faster. last year with the stock muffler i droped 3 10ths by dumping the exhaust.

When I had less money than most high school kids, all my mods were done at minimal cost. I did what you're asking, and removed the stock muffler (big, heavy, restrictive), and ran the stock exhaust system with straight pipes. I gutted the cat too. I went to a local muffler shop, gave them $50, and they cut off my muffler, welded on two stock location exit pipes, and vioala! Instant HP gain, with a unique sound. Back then, I drove the car daily, and had no problems with the sound. Yes, it's a little loud, but, it was still more quiet than my TR w/ 3" Flowmasters, and cost a fraction of what any other catback system would.

So, if money is the issue, then I would say "yes" do it. You won't be disappointed in the "bang-for-the-buck". You'll here the turbo spooling in the exhaust, with an interesting twill that will raise eye-brows, but not necessarily make cops hunt you down.

However, if you have a little spare change, I highly recommend the Hooker Catback w/ Aerochambers. It's around $300, sounds very cool, and performs well! It also doesn't resonate and vibrate the fillings out of your teeth, like many of the 3" systems do. IMO, it's the best "affordable system" out there.
ATR stuff is great, but it comes with a cost...

i dont know if you can do this around you or not, but down here since i live right by the beach there is a lot of draw briges, and they have metal grating on them so water can drain though. for a while i inisited on driving my buick around with the exhaust uncapped, and it was 'loud' not that loud, but, louder then usual. so anyways, when i would go over a draw bridge, and drove over the metal grating, the car would become almost silent. why? well my theory was (i know some of the muscle car guys do this but..) the exhaust is dumping underneth the car, even though its facing out, all the sound is getting trapped under the car and echoing. making it somewhat loud. so if you run it all the way out of the car, i dont think the car will be too loud.

and if you are looking for a cheap muffler, my favorite muffler are the dynomax super turbos. they are like $34 each, and they are an alunium straight though design.

good luck

dynomax super turbos. they are like $34 each, and they are an alunium straight though design.

Super turbos are of a baffled(chambered)/pass-tube construction and are not straight-through. These types also exhibit interior drone.

Dynomax Race Magnum Bullet mufflers... $35 each... straight thru design, powerfull sound but not too loud w/ no cat. Jegs and Summit sells them

I really like the sound of mine. I just recently got the thdp & test pipe. it's alittle louder than before & it is neat to hear the sound of the turbo with the straight pipes. mine has never had mufflers since the day i bought it.

ive got a hooker cat back with no mufflers, no cat, and a 3.5 inch thdp. that sucker is LOUD with the pipes off but its got a nice mellow sound to it with the hooker strights. the only problem is that its to freeflowing, the turbo spools to 20 psi in under a second. ive over boosted a few times (good thing i had race gas and was paying attention to the boost gauge) i cant turn the boost down past 20 psi now so in alittle while im going to have to go get some mufflers welded on to slow the turbo's spool down alittle to give the wastegate time to open fully.

I run the hooker cat back system with straight through aerochamber mufflers and no cat...fairly quiet...especially cruising around...i assume with no mufflers it would be a little louder but you gotta remember our motors aren't V8's so straight pipes on our cars will sound a lot less louder than a typical mustang or camaro

my winter project is going to be a single 3 inch with 1 or 2 mufflers
i want to quiet this thing down and maybe take of a few pounds:confused:.