Nitrous To Build Boost....?

gtiblklv

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS TEEDERED WITH A 50 OR 100 SHOT OF NITROUS TO GET A BIG TURBO LIKE AN 88 TO SPOOL UP....?

converter

If you want the turbo to spool you'll need a higher stall converter.
If you want to pole vault off your crankshaft use the nitrous.
Haven't heard a single good word with NO2 and these cars.

I've used a small shot, and it seemed to work well. After about 2 years of this abuse the block was maged and found cracked. With the NOS, I was running 11.7's, stock everything.

I have to use that stuff on my drag suby. 4cyl. big turbo, manual trans.
But the right way to do it for the TRs is to get the right converter, I guess.

Ever heard of anti-lag? Not the rev-limiter, the real anti-lag. Some rally cars even have an injector and spark plug inbetween the motor and turbo. When off the throttle, the motor will go to a rev limiter mode, and still pump some fresh air thru. Fuel and spark are added in the up-pipe, and turbo gets spooled (or maintains RPM) while having the clutch in for the exit of a turn. This is also a feature of some aftermarket ECUs. The injectors will take turns opening on the exaust stroke, spraying fuel directly out of motor, combustion happens outside of motor spooling the turbo. The motor will be on a rev limiter also, but the anti-lag fueling is added. MoTec has this feature. You could stage and spool up on the antilag mode, you should be able to get much higher boost with "X" converter, and the boost should be almost instant. Dial in the boost you want to leave with, then a switch, or wiring tapped into trans-brake will tell ECU to go to normal mode. Rally cars use the clutch pedal to activate anti-lag mode.

IM AWARE OF THE NEED FOR A HIGHER STALLING CONVERTER. THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING.

MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE USED A SMALL SHOT OF NITROUS WITH POSSIBLY A NITROUS CONTROLLER THAT GIVES A SMALL SHOT OF NITROUS AT THE LOW RPM RANGE TO GET THE CAR GOING TO SPOOL UP THE LARGER TURBO THEN SHUT OFF AT SAY 4000 RPM'S OR SO. HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS.....? THANX GUYS.

IM NOT SAYING USE THE NITROUS ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE POWERBAND. JUST ON THE LOWER RPM RANGE TO GET THE TURBO TO SPOOL UP. ONCE YOU GET GOING THEN THE CONVERTER IS NOT REALLY MUCH OF AN ISSUE. THIS APPLICATION IS FOR THE STREET, NOT AT THE TRACK WHERE YOU HAVE ALL DAY TO SIT AT THE LINE TO SPOOL UP. ANY THOUGHTS GUYS WOULD BE GREAT....!

Originally posted by gtiblklv
IM AWARE OF THE NEED FOR A HIGHER STALLING CONVERTER. THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING.

MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE USED A SMALL SHOT OF NITROUS WITH POSSIBLY A NITROUS CONTROLLER THAT GIVES A SMALL SHOT OF NITROUS AT THE LOW RPM RANGE TO GET THE CAR GOING TO SPOOL UP THE LARGER TURBO THEN SHUT OFF AT SAY 4000 RPM'S OR SO. HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS.....? THANX GUYS.

IM NOT SAYING USE THE NITROUS ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE POWERBAND. JUST ON THE LOWER RPM RANGE TO GET THE TURBO TO SPOOL UP. ONCE YOU GET GOING THEN THE CONVERTER IS NOT REALLY MUCH OF AN ISSUE. THIS APPLICATION IS FOR THE STREET, NOT AT THE TRACK WHERE YOU HAVE ALL DAY TO SIT AT THE LINE TO SPOOL UP. ANY THOUGHTS GUYS WOULD BE GREAT....!

LOTS of guys have.

I know of a local guy here who was telling me a 150 shot to spool a 66 p trim:eek:

Hed leave on low boost(1-2 lbs) and spray out of the whole so itd hook.Hes a member on this board so well see if he chimes in.I know the car ran some 10.80's before he sold it...

And that was with a proper convertor,GN1 heads,etc.

A ton of people use nitrous for that. NOS makes a switch just for that. Auto-cut off at "X" boost. So what is your question.

very common on larger turbos...local 8 sec car uses a shot to spool the 88

the real use for the quick spool is at the race track.....unless you want to lose the race, you most certainly do not have time to sit at the line and build boost

I can't imagine anyone running a turbo on the street large enough to require nitrous to spool:rolleyes:

gtiblklv

There are some Buick guys that have used the bottle. I personally have used it on one of my combos a few years back.;) It takes a little more tuning but the benefits are rewarding. I used it with a TA 62 turbo, 50 lb inj with a 12" (3000) lockup conv and stock unported iron heads. Without the bottle the car would run 11.40's at 121 mph with 25 lbs boost. A 50 shot of nitrous would increase the boost to 27 lbs and the car ran 11.12 - 11.15 at 124. The boost would come up alot faster and it was at full boost a lot sooner with the bottle.:D A guy that would know alot about this setup with boost/nitrous is TurboTR (sprayhead). So to answer you question your spool up will be the same but when you takeoff and the nitrous kicks in your turbo will be at full boost a lot sooner. It will for sure help with any lag.:cool:

GREAT GUYS. THATS ALL I WAS WONDERING. I SHOULD HAVE NOTED THAT I WILL BE RUNNING A STAGE II ON CENTER W/ STAGE II RACE PORTED HEADS WITH A SHEET METAL INTAKE AND HYDROLIC ROLLER....

ANYONE ONE ELSE HAVE ANY IMPUT?

Sounds like you know what you want to do, what has it run for time in the past with what combo? Or we could make it easy and you could just tell us what You Want to Hear?

isnt spraying nitrous at low rpm a good way to put a hole in your hood?

-jeff

I've used it bracket racing. It totally eliminated any turbo lag. Just stage, load the coverter to 0 vacume/boost, and nail it when you see the last yellow. That is the only method I have found for easy repeatability on cutting lights. I was not too good at leaving at the same boost every run when bracket racing. I believe NOS part #15690 is the one that will shut of the nitrous at your pre-determined boost level.

NOS sells set-ups just for the GN/Turbo T, just for this purpose, and there are several switches that shut off the NO2 at boost. The lowest switch is a 5 lb one, and the others are higher, but I can't remember the exact settings.

Not sure about the older FAST system, BUt with the new XFI system it can be done by RPM and TPS
Turns on at *% throttle at said RPM
turn off when it reaches said rpm
IE...
100% throttle
2000 RPM it runs on
4000 RPM Turns off (boost should be plenty by then)
Then you would need only a single nitrous nozzle
1 solenoid, and a 5 or 10# bottle.
THe fuel enrichment will be added thru the ECM

I have head about people spraying in the exhaust system to spool. Why not do that and not worry about loseing a hood.