Nitrous/Methanol Anti-Lag System Afterburner!

60 foot man....what was it?
All this info about how the 'After Smack-Shack Super-Duper Turbo Burner' is working and you don't give us any 60' times. Come on man.:D
A disappointing 1.339. :frown:
I'm hoping that some dialing in of the wheelie bars will bring that back. I think the bars may have been too low and were unloading the tires a little.
Reports from people were that the car just moved out flat, straight and fast. Some say, "It's dialed. Leave it alone!" But, I know better. There's a little more there to be had.
I want to get the bars to where you can just see light under the front tires. That's all.

Well you only lost a half of a tenth. If you unloaded the tires then that could have been a new best. Seems like its just simple stuff to adjust now......hopefully. Keep up the good work.

Latest update. The car has performed a new best 1/8 mile et (see sig) with 60's in the low 1.3s.

I was practicing a pro tree routine on a 3 amber tree.
Ignore the transmission creep. I'm still dialing that in.

There is more to throw at the car. Plans are to step up the launch boost level and the boost climb rate throughout the run the next time out (simple boost controller settings). With the harder launches, the 1-2 is taking much more boost. I'm back to squeaking the tires on the gear changes again.

I pulled the exhaust pipe to inspect the turbine wheel. The wheel looks great and is very clean with a slight grey colored film of soot on it. Before using the afterburner and improving bottom end breathing capacity, the turbine wheel would have a slight film of carbon buildup and an oily film on part of the wheel. Looks like the afterburner is doing a good job of keeping the wheel in tip top aero condition.

Seems a little bouncy in the front end Donnie. Other than that it looks good.
Thanks for confirming that. That was the impression I had also.
The front shocks are adjustable, but I'm going to wait and see how it looks with a harder launch first before I do any adjusting.

Thanks for confirming that. That was the impression I had also.
The front shocks are adjustable, but I'm going to wait and see how it looks with a harder launch first before I do any adjusting.

What have you got them set on right now? You may actually lighten the rears some and get a little better results. Looks like the preload is on the right rear and left front to me still.

What have you got them set on right now? You may actually lighten the rears some and get a little better results. Looks like the preload is on the right rear and left front to me still.
I don't recall what the settings of any of the shocks are now. I do know that I used settings that were recommended to me. I'll start playing with the shock settings after I find a launch power level I want to stick with. Sitting in the driver's seat, you don't feel the bouncing. The car actually is driving like a dream. The launch feels like I'm making a 16 second pass. Very uneventful. It's like the car is on auto pilot and I'm just along for the ride.
On the 3rd pass in the video, I was forced to run in the right lane due to clean up going on in the preferred left lane. On the top end of that pass, the car did get a little loose, forcing me to take her off of auto pilot.

One of the main reasons why the front end may have been bouncing a little after the launch may be the amount of boost I had set at the beginning of the boost control curve coming off the launch. The boost controller was still set conservatively for those launch tests.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/2632440-post184.html

As you can see, the plan is to attempt to burn the tires down after the launch on the next outing with the car. I want to find the limits of what the tires can take and/or find out just how quick the boost rise curve can be with this gorilla turbo.
The nitrous shut off point is also going to be a pinch higher into the MAP. :eek: About an 1/8 of a turn in on the pressure switch adjustment screw. Small steps, right? I wish I could convey to you guys how much is still laying on the table with this setup. :cool: It gives me chills just thinking about it.

Thinking about it and watching the video again makes me think you may not be getting enough lift on launch Donnie. The run looks really solid but I'm wondering about the three bounces once you take off. Almost like the shocks are set to light on the front. Just my .02 after all.

Thinking about it and watching the video again makes me think you may not be getting enough lift on launch Donnie. The run looks really solid but I'm wondering about the three bounces once you take off. Almost like the shocks are set to light on the front. Just my .02 after all.
I am going to have the wheelie bars set one adjustment turn higher for the next time. I hear you on the bounces. I'll keep that in mind. If I continue to see the bouncing, I'll try stiffening up the compression on the fronts.

Don't think the compression is the issue here Donnie. The rebound is. See if you can take more vids from the side which will tell the tale, so to speak.

This is a long and very involved thread so I hope you read all of it first. Donnie has been working on this for a while and seems to have gotten it to a point that works for him.

this post is reason enough to open up this thread.

rock on, sir.
Thanks, kaj.
As you can see by the sig below, the car now has new all time best 60' and 1/8 mile ETs of 1.27 and 5.57.
This nitrous/methanol anti lag system with the afterburner is absolutely amazing. It can be finely tuned with simple and finite wastegate and blow off valve adjustments to provide more than enough rpm and boost for the launch within 1.7 seconds that has easily overpowered the slicks I'm using. Launching with a MAP of 180-190 kPa seems to work best these days. Any more than that seems to just increase tire slippage at the launch. Chassis adjustments might allow more boost to be used at the launch, but for right now, I'm good with a 1.27 60'. The tires are starting to go away, too. Time for a new set of slicks.
Lately, I've dialed in the roll out section of the run with small changes to the fuel map. The car has a new all time best 330' ET.
I need to get more video to see if I've smoothed out the roll out and eliminated the bouncing that me and Charlie were discussing about a little earlier in this thread. It turns out that the power delivery wasn't the smoothest due to the fuel map, and was most likely contributing to the bouncing. The car is a joy to drive when I'm not pushing the boost levels through the run, even though people that watch a run from the rear make it a point to come back to me to tell me how scary it looks.

LOL Did you do any adjustments to the front shocks yet Donnie? I think if you can control the bouncing a little better you'll pick up even more time.

LOL Did you do any adjustments to the front shocks yet Donnie? I think if you can control the bouncing a little better you'll pick up even more time.
No. No adjustments to any chassis settings, yet. I wanted to straighten out the power delivery first. The next step will be to get more video of the car to see if it is still bouncing. Seat of the pants, the launch feels more evenly powered through the 60', carrying the wheels a little better than before.

Cool Donnie. I'd like to see the way she's sitting and launching now.

I'd really like to see you get her scaled this year and see where the weight in the car is sitting now. I know you've got the 60' down but I know there's more left in the chasis that you're leaving behind.