Nice looking slim mount bracket for SMC controller

Evans Ward

Love those LC2/ Y56 cars!
There has to be a better way in securing the SMC controller than velcro which never holds for any extended periods! I'm requesting a slim line metal or alum bracket that the controller can mount to with screws with the other end coming from behind the dash bezel. All of which would still place the controller unit tucked away neatly and in view by the center AC vent. I'd pay for a nice looking mount like this. How about it??

I hate to keep replying to these threads but I'm bored. I made one of these also. Sadly no pics.

If you take the cluster pad off, you'll see one screw holding the black cluster bucket toward the top but on the right side. I took, again, thin sheetmetal and bent a ~1/2" wide 90 degree bend to fit in there. Then bend it back the other way 90 degrees at the edge of the dash itself. Then bend it again 90 degrees back toward you so it clears the cluster pad (angle this bend so the sheetmetal comes out straight at you, otherwise it'll be on an up angle. The bent area should be a little wider at the bottom, more narrow at the top on this last bend).

I then took the side off the SMC controller and held it up to the metal, marked the holes and drilled it. Then I mounted the metal to the outside of the controller using the SMC's existing screws and installed the whole thing behind the black cluster bucket and that one screw. You can mock it up with cardboard first and see what I mean. It works and is steady as a rock!

I'm glad you replied John as this gives me the plans to make one like you did! Thanks for the instructions. I'll mock up with cardboard and get some sheet metal. Can't wait for this to be sturdy and velcro-free! Thanks once again! :)

I did the same except I didn't drill any holes I bent a peice Kind of like this [___ and just sandwiched it behind the pad then put my velcroe to it. It hold like a champ and you can't hardly see the bracket