Newbie to the GN world

mxrider29

I may be trading for a 85 T Type. It has low miles and completely stock. I would love to get it low 12's or hi 11's. I've heard that the hot airs can't do it easily. What would you recommend to get me there and about how much $$ in parts??

Low miles

If it has low miles dont touch it keep it as a collector car and buy an 86-87 . The point. It will cost about the same .. To go 11-12s

I don't want it stock, if I did I wouldn't have asked the question. I know there's a lot of them out there that are running 11-12's and I want to know the best way to get there..

I

Wasnt being a smart azz . I was for real . If your trying to go 11-12s on a hot air car . You need $100.bills to breed to thousands. It wont be cheap.. Parts are hard to find if you can . Most people fab their own parts because of avalibility or lack of .. Hense my comment .for what it will cost to do it you could have two cars .. Sorry but its the truth .. Getting a hot air car to run 13s is costly let alone 11-12s

Can be done

It can be done, has been done. I myself, and others are in the process of bringing 11 second hot airs together as I type this, hell I sould be in the garage right now. I leave you with this. Mine is a 5,000 original mile car. will soon be wearing a 6262 with a 210-216 roller, and about 5,000 additional $$$$'s just in chips,alky,wb,isac,etc,etc,etc...... If I wanted to go fast for cheap I would have a putang or maro.

Oh it can de done

Ive done it also .. But the point is by the time he spends the money on the car hes trading for he could have kept it stock and bought an 11 sec 86-87 for the same money .. Its just not cheap is my point. Most people trading cars dont have another 7-10 thou to throw at it ..

Ive done it also .. But the point is by the time he spends the money on the car hes trading for he could have kept it stock and bought an 11 sec 86-87 for the same money .. Its just not cheap is my point. Most people trading cars dont have another 7-10 thou to throw at it ..

Like I said in the thread in the general area... you have to know what you want. Can the hot air get that low - yes. It's just whether you want to spend the time in the garage and money out the bank to do it. or you can go get a 86/87 that is already down in/or close to the 11s. Then you can just turn a wrench and bolt on horsepower. I'm sure everyone in here will agree, that it doesn't matter what you have if its not tuned. I could be draggin around a 3rd leg, but if i don't know how to use it...the lady wont care ;)

Im trying

Right now to build a 10 sec conquest tsi 4 banger and im spending about 20 thousand on a car thats worth maybe 3gs .so i feel ya . Im gonna make it pay in smiles :) because we all know i well never sell it for anything close too that .but if it meets my goals its priceless to me .. And a shock to others . Ever see a conquest do a wheel stand ..hold on you will !!when im done . But im still trying to finnish my olds stroker another car worth 7gs i spent 10gs on . This is a sickness dont get started .. Go to rehab .. My wife tells people [at least he dont drink] but he spends money on his cars like a crackhead ...... Good luck in your quest ..

....and people wonder why the Hot Air forum is dying....:rolleyes: Answer the guy's questions, and quit preaching to him about what he should, or shouldn't do with his own car.

1) get a handle on the tuning of the car in it's stock form

2) use the search function and read

3) research each performance part individually as to cost, effectiveness, and ease of install by asking questions

4) read 2) again

5) scan tool

6) fuel pump/hotwire kit

7) headers...pass side specifically

8) downpipe---2-1/2 or 3" ....integrated (no stock elbow)

9) cold air kit

10) injectors and Turbo Tweak chip

11) TA-33 turbo at a minimum

12) ported heads/intake

13) ported or larger than stock throttle body

14) Alky kit or E85 (if avail in your area)

15) 2-1/2 or 3" exhaust all the way

16) bigger cam

17) keep reading and asking questions

(...all the same mods needed to get an 86-87 into the low 12's or high 11's) :rolleyes:

....and people wonder why the Hot Air forum is dying....:rolleyes: Answer the guy's questions, and quit preaching to him about what he should, or shouldn't do with his own car.

Well spoken Kieth. I am guilty of the preaching charges. I agree with you and would only add a 2800 -3000 stall converter on the trans. Brad

I

Love hot air cars 78-85 .if its an all stock original it would be wise to leave it alone .. And help to continue the hot air section .that is all .

You can get there with what others have said. As far as intercooling you can try alky as that will allow you to run a decent amount of boost.

Nitrous...

upgraded fuel pump... 50lb injectors Translator setup ignition upgrade /'87 2,800 converter, upgraded upper/lower control arms, Nitto drag radials, and a wet shot... start small... 75 horses will be noticeable.

expected you have scantool