Newbie, Go Easy (Stock Engine ?'s)

Lingam

All,

I am new here and have tons of questions. I want to put a 86-87 231 Turbo in a 1980 Monte carlo. I want the stock performance of the 87 GNX, nothing more. I am not looking to race, just have some petal if I need it. I am handy with a wrench, though I am no machinist.

Which vendor would be the best for this kind of work? I know the race guys are expensive because they build the best. I don't mind paying good money for quality, but I also don't want to pay top $$ for something that I won't every use. Any thoughts?

Also, I am not starting with a donor car, though I may try to find the engine as a core. I know a running donor car would be a good option, but I can't see paying 3K or more for a running car that when you are done will be scrap metal. I would rather put 3K into the right parts for the project.

Any help is appreciated!

Lingam

Welcome.....be warned, you may be on a one way trip:eek:

If you're handy with a wrench, your best bet is to do the transplant yourself. Best to probably chat with some of the guys that have done hybrids, and see what challenges they ran into/

You $3k budget is lite (by quite a bit!)-

running engine (complete) - $2500 to 3500
86/87 harness with ECM - $300 to 500
200R4 trans - $500 to 1500
8.5 rear end - $800
Various custom bits - $1500 to ?

Good luck!

All,

I am new here and have tons of questions. I want to put a 86-87 231 Turbo in a 1980 Monte carlo. I want the stock performance of the 87 GNX, nothing more. I am not looking to race, just have some petal if I need it. I am handy with a wrench, though I am no machinist.

Which vendor would be the best for this kind of work? I know the race guys are expensive because they build the best. I don't mind paying good money for quality, but I also don't want to pay top $$ for something that I won't every use. Any thoughts?

Also, I am not starting with a donor car, though I may try to find the engine as a core. I know a running donor car would be a good option, but I can't see paying 3K or more for a running car that when you are done will be scrap metal. I would rather put 3K into the right parts for the project.

Any help is appreciated!

Lingam

I know of a guy with a mint condition black Monte Carlo he maybe looking to sell it. Would you like his number?

If you're handy with a wrench, your best bet is to do the transplant yourself. Best to probably chat with some of the guys that have done hybrids, and see what challenges they ran into/

8.5 rear end - $800

Good luck!

Fergot to add this bit;

the above list is assuming you'll used average used parts. If you want to go faster, you may have to factor in a bit more for a better turbo/injectors/chip. At the same time, you may come across come great deals!

8.5 rear end - $800

Good luck!

I was probably not clear, the 3K was for a T-type donor car, not for pieced together parts. I saw a donor type gn (beat up and questionable condition) for 2500 locally. I figured the pieced together price would be more, but you get to pick the componets and have them rebuilt as needed.

Thanks

Lingam

Fergot to add this bit;

the above list is assuming you'll used average used parts. If you want to go faster, you may have to factor in a bit more for a better turbo/injectors/chip. At the same time, you may come across come great deals!

I am looking for mostly stock performance of the 87 GNX. Faster is great, but I don't have a matress full of cash either. :) Plus if i want to go faster (to a point) I can always upgrade "piecemeal" after the car is back together. I am basically looking for a good solid turbo short block and work from there.

Lingam

Do you know what year?

Lingam

Louoldcar.jpg