Newbee

john stewart

Hello all i have been out of the car world for 10 years (kids lol) and am looking to get back into it with a turbo buick.
My last car was a 69 camaro rs with a pump gas 406 that ran 11.37 at 120 driving 2.5 hours to the track (3.73)..
I built the whole car my self except paint and body.
I guess i am just a little intimidated with tuning an efi turbo car.
So the question i have is it that hard to build an low 11 second pump gas turbo buick daily driver, ?
Thankyou.

It is not terribly difficult but there is a learning curve involved. I learn slower than most. I bought my car out of a field 10 years ago and it was a heap. I spent a ton of time and money and could have done a lot of things smarter and cheaper. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a car in good condition that was already in the eleven second range and started there. I think that would have been cheaper for me and I would have got to spend a bunch more time driving/enjoying the car. Just my opinion. Have you looked at buying a turbo Buick yet? Tuning is not that bad if you have a laptop, a data logger of some sort, and a good chip. I don't really miss changing jets, power valves, etc. I don't even own a vehicle with a carburetor anymore.

I would look for a lightly modded car so you can learn with it. If you get a junker and don't really know what's going on you will be chasing your tail and wasting time and money. Where are you from? There are lots of good members here that are glad to lend a hand with educating and helping new guys.

If I can-you can...I had an 90 LX 302 mustang sometime ago, I quickly swapped it out for a 351 bored to a 408 and did a carb conversion on it. Tuned the hell out of it...then sold it and got a GN...I'm still not an expert...but I'm learning. These guys are great on here. I wish I was too the point to offer advice. The only thing I can offer is the typical response of "Call Eric and get a TT chip burned then go from there"...lol.

Thankyou for the response .
I am in Canada just outside of Toronto so i am looking to spend 12-13k US for a good rust free car.
My goal is to run 11.50 on the hottest day on pump gas reliable.
Up here we only get to 90f on the hotest days and the track is only about 350ft above sea level so i think its very doable.
Before i pull the trigger and buy a tr a will bother some of you for more advise.
Again thankyou.

Thankyou for the response .
I am in Canada just outside of Toronto so i am looking to spend 12-13k US for a good rust free car.
My goal is to run 11.50 on the hottest day on pump gas reliable.
Up here we only get to 90f on the hotest days and the track is only about 350ft above sea level so i think its very doable.
Before i pull the trigger and buy a tr a will bother some of you for more advise.
Again thankyou.
Oh, Canadian... can't help you... lol j/k

Still a newb but I bought a car that was heavily modded. Love it because it has all the high dollar parts I would have never bought by myself. However, the learning curve is steeper that way so be careful. Main thing I wish I had hammered into my brain before I started driving one is the relationships between the Air/Fuel ratio, Timing, Knock Retard, and MAP values (Maf if your not running a map.) I'm pretty dense though so I'm sure you'll be fine.

BTW, I'm originally from Detroit. Used to cross the ambassador and hang out in your country every once in a while. I'd kill for a Tim Hortons down here!

If you are willing to read, learn and put it into practice, you'll be fine.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Everything you need to know can be found on this site or at least the link to it. The search button is your friend. Good luck in your search and if possible buy from someone on the board. Their knowledge as you go forward after your purchase can be invaluable. (It has been for me)