Newb Here

TurboDragOn

Hello, I have an 86 GN that I believe has the stock turbo. My question is what is the stock turbo on these and where can I get a rebuild kit?

My turbo has play in & out and up & down. There is about a 1/6" play up& down and about 1/4" play in & out. Is this worth rebuilding?

I recently pulled the motor cause it had "issues", it lost power while driving about four years ago and then the engine locked up. I thought it was the oil pump and maybe a spun main bearing and then a lock up, but I just found the cause.

It seems as though the cam snapped at the last section (the last two lobes), don't know how but it did and walked out hitting the flywheel and then dropped back inside locking the motor and chipping the last two cylinder bottoms.

I am trying to rebuild this cheaply but I don't know if I should reuse the block or trash it.

Anyways if anyone could help me with some basic info on what I can do and if it is worth a turbo rebuild please reply.

Thanks you for your attention.

Cheap, and building these Buicks do not go together well. That's your first lesson :p. Turbo rebuilds are easy, and I am pretty sure you can get the rebuild kits. I will update my post in a second with a suitable site. If the block is in good condition, Don't bother. Replace the cam, and the two cylinders. Have a professional machine shop check out the engine, or post some pics here and our block gurus will help out.

Nix

Hey thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know cheap and GN's don't go well but hey I gotta try. :biggrin:

I know that rebuilding a turbo is easy I just don't know what the model is of the turbo I have or if it is even worth rebuilding, It is small and looks like all the other stock photos I have seen but I don't know what it is called or where to find a kit.

As for the pics of the motor I wil try and get a good shot of it but the motor is on a stand right now and the holding bracket is obstructing view of the cam opening at the rear.:mad:

I can buy a rebuilt motor for $1200 but I don't know if I want to go that route or if I should just try and sleeve the chamber and buy a cam kit and pistons.

This forum is awesome and has a lot of great tips and tricks that i will have to do when I get ready to put this thing back together.

Well thanks again and I'll wait to here back on the turbo info.

I think the turbos are called T3s. But a T3 and T4 have the same rebuild kit.

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread and I apologize.

I thought the turbo was a t3 also but I want to make sure. I see all kinds of kits for a t3 but I want to make sure I get the right one. I would hate to order one and then come to find out after the tear down that the kit doesn't match.

Also another question I have is that the injectors that are on the fuel rail, all have a red ring around the top. I heard that was good but I have no idea. LOL

I have a mechanical background but I have no knowledge of these beauties.

Sorry for being such a noob.:D

PN for a reman garrett stock turbo is

If you remove the turbo heat shield you should see on the backside of the compressor casing a tag identifying the SN and PN for the turbo. This info may help if you need to get a rebuild kit.

No ID tag on this one. ??? Here are some pics.

0822102053.jpg

0822102053a.jpg

0822102054.jpg

Like I said it has play up & down and in & out. I plan to rebuild it and bell mouth the inlet and whatever else you guys think will help. But I need to know what it is and if play will be corrected with a rebuild. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

TD

Do a search for G pop shop. They have just about everything you need and can give you a better idea of what you've got.

i've got a nice stock turbo with 40k on it i could sell you. if your interested pm me