New TTA owner looking for conley's perf.

justamatt

Hey guys im a first time TTA owner and the one i bought has been used and abused i dont know too many details about it yet but the car appears to have some conley's performance mods on it. I was wondering if any body knew how to get in contact with conley's to see if you has any documentation on all things that have been done to this car.

I look forward to being apart of this comunity of great individuals and i thank you ahead of time for all your help, thanks.

Conely's is no more. I don't know of many Conley specific performance parts. He did have a couple of custom ground cams and some kind of can muffler but normally, anything else would be from one of the Buick performance manufacturer's. Identifing what ever is on there may prove to be difficult. Externally you can probably identify the turbo, injctors, fuel pressure regulator, throttle body, plenum, these type of things but, internally, forget it! That is, unless the motor is apart. I understand your delima!

Yeah it’s been fun trying to figure out what all has been done to the car :mad: I’ve been just replacing and upgrading as I go. The part that I would love to figure out is the t/c all I know is its white and has Conley’s pro written on it in green sharpie.

As for the rest of the car it makes 170 psi compression rather high I assume for these blocks, has a high flow oil pump with 100+ psi double checked with autometer gauge, a chip from Conley’s I don’t remember which one but it was killing the car with its setup way to rich and plenty of backfire, the stock turbo is leaking oil heavily (cheap replacement from a bigger turbo im assuming), fouled up stock injectors, badly wired dual fuel pump, torn up driver side motor mount.

Stuff I’ve done (so far)
Walbro 340 fp
160 stat
009 42lb injectors
Erics chip
Driver side H&R mount (too chicken to try the Pass. Side)
Adjustable fpr
Various sensors
Added some guages

Any suggestions or just keep crying:confused:

Looks like yer on the right track but I would be suspicious of that converter. With the commpression you stated there is a possibility that the motor has been reworked and GN dish pistons installed making the ratio 9 to 1. This is not a problem, it was his philosophy for getting a better bottom end response. I'm currious about the back firing? Let me ask you this! Is it more of a popping noise under full throttle with boost? Or and actual backfire from unspent gas in the exaust pipe? I ask this because if it's more of a popping it could mean a problem with the convertor. Also, if you have a scan tool check yer BLM's (block learn). They should be at 128 at idle. If not there's a vacuum leak. This is also associated with popping under full throttle. Get back to me on these.

sorry had to run somewhere i forgot to mention i did the power logger upgrade as well the blm's seem to be fine right on 128 in idle and as for the backfire it was a combination of what sounded like poping in the intake and boomin out the tail pipe with a nice complement of black smoke to go with it when i changed the injectors and chip all that went away :biggrin: but the power has been pretty sad i also just went with a spring loaded wastegate solenoid and cant seem to get consistant boost under wot and nothing over 16 psi where as with factory solenoid and adj. wastegate i could hit about 19psi she just doesnt seem to be running right im guessing its wrong turbo-t/c match but i dont know much

The 128 BLM eliminates the vac leak so that's a good thing. I am assuming that the popping/backfire issue is also gone with the chip and injector change. Yer probably in the ball park with the turbo/tc. See if you can get a serial # off the turbo and maybe a name. I haven't looked at my stock one in years so I don't remember if Garrett is embosed on it or not but it seems that there is some #'s. If you can find these give Precision Turbo a call and they can probably tell you what it is. You can try checking the t/c buy torque breaking it untill the tires start to break loose and see what rpm's that's at. This will give you an idea of the stall. The stock stall is 2400 so with these checks you should be able to see where you are. If you don't have it Precisions # is 219-996-7832. I would think that even if it's not a Garrett turbo they would be able to steer you where to go.

Thanks for the help my turbo does say garret on it ill get all the numbers off and call precision tomorrow but as for the compression any sugestions on setup if you want a mean 11 second grocery car

Thanks for the help my turbo does say garret on it ill get all the numbers off and call precision tomorrow but as for the compression any sugestions on setup if you want a mean 11 second grocery car

Alky Control and upgraded turbo...need to know the T/C stall to pick the turbo correctly though. Alky will get you low 12's and maybe high 11's on a stock motor, turbo & converter.

wlecome to the fun!!!!!!!

Well! I'll tell yuh! Alot of guys have run in the mid 11's with a stock set up using just 3 mods - adjustable fuel pressure regulator, adjustable waste gate and a test pipe wear the cat is. Run 114 or higher race gas bring the boost up to 20 to 24 and have at it. But, if yer note interested in the track a TA 49 turbo and a good 2800 stall convertor should be right in line with the injectors you have and as mentioned by Scott89TTA, an alky kit would seal thu deal. A street spanker fer sure! I'll check yer posts for the weekend and follow what's up!

Ok sounds great and achievable so is the power stall test a fairly accurate way to determin the stall ive got nitto 555r on the back!! :confused:

Yea! It's as accurate as yer gonna get with out pullin thu converter. Even then I'm not real sure a good convertor man could tell yuh what the stall is when he takes it apart. Yuh don't have to smoke thu tires just watch thu tach as you bring thu rpm's up and you'll feel thu tires break. That'll tell yuh what yuh need to know. You can also see the boost range it's at which is another method of determining a high stall. Scott Kelley, one of the 3 PAS guys achieved a 0 to 60 run in 4.6 sec. He told me he was able to do that run because he torque braked the car to 2 psi boost and then launched, tires were already burnin when he launched. So, you feel thu tires break at 3400 and you see 6,7 psi - HOSTON! We have a PROBLEM! HA! Probably wouldn't hurt uh thing to launch at that but for a street run around have fun car you would have to bring up the rpm's every time you wanted a fast start from a red light. You want thu car to spool immediately from a full throttle blast coming off idle.

. . .The part that I would love to figure out is the t/c all I know is its white and has Conley’s pro written on it in green sharpie. . .

Its actually a blue sharpie (faded after years of heat) That is a 2800 to 3000 stall t/c w/lock-up.

Hope that helps.:)

Who did you but the car from? I might be able to help you out some.

CC

thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you. dont suppose you know why its hitting 170 psi on compression test

bought the car from a trans am dealer in tulsa but he didnt know any thing about it couldnt even tell me who he got if from according to car fax it started in dallas then moved around texas then new mexico then oklahoma with about 9-10 different owners

Justamatt

Sorry man but that's not a TTA vin number, it's not even a turbo car number. The turbo cars are called vin 7 cars by machine shops because that's where they get the specs from when they do one of these motors. It's in some book they have as a vin 7 motor. The 7 is in the eighth digit of the vin and as I remember all TTA's have a 5 in the 3rd digit. I think the 3rd digit is the code for what plant the car comes from and all TTA's came from the Van Nuys, CA plant.

the vin however is (jm1bk12f251333179)

I just did a quick vin check and this is what I got

VIN: JM1BK12F251333179

Vehicle: 2005 Mazda Mazda3 i

Records found for this vehicle: 4

AutoCheck Score Range for vehicles similar to yours: 84-88