New Trans, did i already take it out?

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys i got my transmission rebuilt by a turbo buick shop about two years ago after my old one stopped shifting. I put the newly rebuilt transmission in the car with a new cooler and clean lines, then i put the car in storage for two years. Well i go to get the car yesterday and it was shifting very very hard, i tried adjusting the TV cable and it didn't seem to change anything. I also noticed that i could not build any boost from a stop. RPM's would not climb like they sould to build boost. Anyways i needed to move the car so i went on a 30 minute drive and noticed the car was shifting late and would only shift when i let off the gas. Well shortly after it started this it just stopped pulling, RPMs would go up and car was not moving. So i pulled over immediatly and noticed i had a little transmission fluid leaking from somewhere and a noise coming from the torque convertor area, almost sounds like metal hitting somewhere or a bad bearing. So i towed it home and pulled it in the garage. I havent driven it again except into the garage and it seemed to drive the same then. I checked the fluid and it was on the high side but i dont know if that would cause many problems or not. Thanks

The stopping pulling and strange noise makes me thing low trans oil or a plugged filter. The fact that it started working again after you let it cool off, also could indicate a filter issue.

The bad thing is, the only way a filter gets plugged is, if there are other parts in the transmission which have broken down into debris; contaminating the oil.

One more possibility about the late / harsh shifts and low boost would be an engine performance problem. If the engine is not making the expected torque and RPM for a given amount of TV cable pull - this will be the result.

Sincerely,
David

The stopping pulling and strange noise makes me thing low trans oil or a plugged filter. The fact that it started working again after you let it cool off, also could indicate a filter issue.

The bad thing is, the only way a filter gets plugged is, if there are other parts in the transmission which have broken down into debris; contaminating the oil.

One more possibility about the late / harsh shifts and low boost would be an engine performance problem. If the engine is not making the expected torque and RPM for a given amount of TV cable pull - this will be the result.

Sincerely,
David

Yeah i checked the fluid quite a few times and it was right on the high mark, but after i pulled over when it stopped shifting i checked it and it was about half a inch to high. Also smelled like something was burning or really hot. I pulled the plug on the pan last night and i let it drain overnight, the magnetic plug did catch a good bit of debris but nothing to crazy. Im going to take the pan off tonight and will try to put up some pictures.
But i had thought about the engine performance being the issue, but it seemed normal powerwise to me. And before that last transmission went the car was doing beautifully.

IMG_20130506_192718_305_zps3bca557f.jpg

IMG_20130506_192723_832_zps0150eade.jpg

I cant see anything wrong just by looking at the bottom of the trans but i know something went way wrong. Any ideas?

Well - that looks like quite a large amount of clutch / band lining material. :-( It would explain the pump whining. But that's a symptom of a more serious failure. One general reason that all the lining will "slough off" a clutch is water damage. If the trans was contaminated with moisture from condensation; or engine coolant from a bad radiator heat exchanger, it can cause the lining to de-bond from the clutches / bands.

I'm not an expert on the 200R4 trans, so hopefully someone with more hands-on experience can step in and offer more guidance.

Sincerely,
David

To me, that brown stuff looks like torque converter lining. If the TCC was dragging, you would get all those symptoms. Hard shifts, no power. So a valve got stuck in the tcc circuit in the pump or valve body. Or the converter was bad from the start. Seen that many times. That unit needs to come out and be cleaned and inspected.

Yeah i talked to the place that built it and he said it sounded like a torque converter failure. I guess that would explain why i could not build any boost from a stop or get any higher than 2k rpm when on the footbrake...? But the torque converter was brand new, so that sucks...

Which torque converter did you have? I have a Pat's in mine and the trans is toast now. I talked to the well known trans guys on here and they said they wouldn't even warranty a rebuilt trans with a Pat's converter. Just curious if you have the same
converter as me.

Hmmm. I do not have the same symptoms though. Mine just flares really bad in 3rd at WOT. If I drive normal, it's fine. Definetly interesting though.

I just remembered a few things about my convertor, it has been years since i last drove the car so i forgot all of what i had done. It was a pats convertor i put in on my stock transmission and it did great for a while until the stock trans went out. I was scared of reusing the convertor for fear that there was still trash in it that i couldent get out. So i had it sent back to Pats to be cleaned and inspected, they said it had alot of rust in it but were able to save it. Im wondering now if they were really able to or not...

Hey guys I just dropped my trans off at a local place that I heard was good from a few members. Anyways he looked over everything and said it was the tourqe converter that failed and took out the trans... So I guess I need to call Pats and see what they have to say.