New trans and TC

DCGN

I just had a virgin BRF 2004R rebuilt by a local trans guru that has
a good rep on building the 2004R's. I also installed a new 3000 stall converter. A couple of questions. Taking off at light
throttle, will the 3000 stall converter mask the 1-2 shift? I can feel one shift at 16 MPH, which is 3rd gear, and 4th gear at 35 MPH. Then lock up at 45 MPH. If you get on it, it is definitely in 1st gear and shifts to 2nd just like it should. Is this normal?
Also, should it shift bang hard when you shift manually from 1st
to 2nd at light throttle?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

I can tell you that before my rebuild and restall the shifts would take your head off. Now after complete rebuild with good parts and convertor restalled to 3500, shifts are firm and crisp but not harsh like they were. I have to believe its the stall factor masking the harshness. Also the super servo used to cause the 2-1 shift down to bang. now its is still there but not harsh.
Mitch

with yor typical 3000stall convertor it is very common to severely reduce the drivers acknowledgement of the 1/2 and 2/3 shift at lite throttle this is because at lite throttle line pressure is on the low side of it window and because the motor and trans are not hydrauliccally coupled due to the convertor allowing a higher rate of disconnection at lo rpm ,or vehicle road speed .the super servo is notorios for banging during backshifting as it allows the servo to reapply w /out accumulation at lite or no throttle .this is because of the design of the servo and because the servo is already charged although not applied at coast down therefore the rate of apply at coastdown at coast /lite throttle is faster than that which occurs during a 1/2 using the 1/2 shift valvetrain .a manual 1/2 will be firmer than a 1/2 with the selector in o/d because the signal oil pipe on the valve body sends oil to the int boost valve in addition to modulated tv oil on the tv boost valve and this raises working pressure .

Wow, Chris you said a mouth full there. Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

Dan