New Track Times.......Stock Turbo

turbocody

GOT BOOST!
went to track with my new setup:

12.22@108.32mph w/ 1.67 60"
1/8th: 7.71@ 87.72mph
this was with 5psi launch and 19-20psi through the traps.

i also had 12.23, 12.25, 12.35,those were with 18-19psi

let me know if these numbers look ok.i think the mph is down cause i have the original 53k valve springs.

but on the 12.25 pass i had a best ever 7.70@87.90mph

I think those times are great. I ran 12.4x's on the stock turbo but was using crappy 868 injectors. Congrat's those are very good times!

WOW...I didn't know you could take the stock turbo QUITE that far...That's sweet man.

Originally posted by turbocody
..........let me know if these numbers look ok...........
Okay? Those #s are great. Ive seen a stock turbo and bluetops go 12.1s but its definately the minority that have the patience and tune that well. Plenty of cars around with much more in the way of mods not even running that fast or about the same. Keep it up. Max it out and then mod ;)

Very Nice times! Nice to see that we "Stock Turbo" guys continue to prove that the recipies DO work!

ks:cool:

great guys, i'm glad to hear that i am doing good. i think if i cranked the boost up to 21-22psi and left at more than 5psi i could have got a 12.00-12.10. cause on the 12.25 pass i let off completely at the 1000', and the 101.69mph shows that i got out of it. i was bracket racing so i had to get out of it cause i was spanking a corvette.;) do you guys think i could have went 12.00's???

great guys, i'm glad to hear that i am doing good. i think if i cranked the boost up to 21-22psi and left at more than 5psi i could have got a 12.00-12.10. cause on the 12.25 pass i let off completely at the 1000', and the 101.69mph shows that i got out of it. i was bracket racing so i had to get out of it cause i was spanking a corvette.;) do you guys think i could have went 12.00's???

Nice numbers...:cool:
I've gotten into the 12.0's with the stock turbo, it can be done.
I was running 22-23 psi with a 110/116 octane fuel mix.
Careful...make sure you've enough fuel supply and watch out
for knock. Push it, without hurting it, and good luck;)
I think you're there...

cool, i was running 116 race gas and 0 knock at 19psi and o2's never went below 7.67. and i have a lot of inj. left to play with so i think i'm good to go.

Damn, you just burst my bubble. I went 12.87 @ 104 on 94 oct. Well, guess I've got to raise my expectations, or lower them. Whatever haha.;)
Congrats on the great times.

28" tires and new valve springs could net 11's with no other changes.

your 60' rocks, what convertor do you have?

the most I ever got out of the stock one is 1.80's
thanks

The turbo Regal is very capable of running very low 12's with the stock turbo. We ran 12.1 at 112 using the Kenne Bell Hot Flash chip. That chip locks the converter early in second gear. In those days we used the dump pipe into the fenderwell. The boost was set at about 21, the static fuel pressure was set at 45. The motor had the stock injectors. By adding the old Stage 11 turbo we broke into the high 11's. By adding a Mark Brown air to water intercooler with ice water circulating the car ran an immediate 11.50 (almost 5 tenths improvement over stock intercooler). A TE 34 turbo (John Craig) with .82 exhaust housing brought the times down to a 11.17 at 122 mph. Head work to the original heads (stock cam and unported intake) brought the times down to 10.77 at 125 mph. Incredible car the turbo Regal. I have also owned a number of newer cars, mostly F bodies. They come and go, the turbo Regal however, is forever!

Gary ,

I use to have a TR with the fender dump & cheetah turbo, most amazing sounding car I ever owned!

Thanks for the '93 flashback!

myles

well, i have a stock converter and launching at 5psi and i have 26x9.0x15 hoosier slicks. and i had the pass. side air bag at 20psi. well, i'm going to put new valve springs on this winter and don't you think 28" tires will hurt me since i'm still running 12's. cause i thought a 28" tire is ment for 10 & 11 sec. race cars. i was thinking about getting the new 27x10.5x15 M/T ET Streets.

Great times on a stock turbo.

There is more left in it but not too much. People have gone into the high 11's with stock turbo, injectors, downpipe, and intercooler but they are more of the exception than the rule. Running low 12's shows that you are close and with the parts you have I think high 11's should be rather easy with some more tuning/seat time and some new valve springs (look at my sig:) ) to get you mph up to what it should be. Overall you are doing a good job of representing us stock turbo guys :D

well, i have a stock converter and launching at 5psi and i have 26x9.0x15 hoosier slicks. and i had the pass. side air bag at 20psi. well, i'm going to put new valve springs on this winter and don't you think 28" tires will hurt me since i'm still running 12's. cause i thought a 28" tire is ment for 10 & 11 sec. race cars. i was thinking about getting the new 27x10.5x15 M/T ET Streets.

Yeah, but you're in the low 12's and that's where you will benifit from the 28's. Put them on and you will like;)

Definitely shoot for 21-22 psi. I'm sure you know the stock turbo isn't good above much more than that, if at all. My valve spring change helped tremendously, but my GN had 140K on it when I finally did them! Went from max 105 mph to 108.5 next time out with only other change being a switch to T wheels from GN wheels. Eventually went 12.6@111.97 on Radial TAs (1.99 60'). You could try porting the stock turbo (I did mine)... can't hurt! Oh yeah, I was running low timing and alky, but I understand that the stock turbos at that level like more timing rather than more boost. Good job and good luck!

20-21psi seems to be as high as my Stocker likes to go - I tried 23-25psi this weekend and the car went about 2 mph slower!

I would love to have your 60' - it'd put my car in the 11's

You are running out of RPM. The stock turbo is very restictive on the exhaust side and hurts the motors ability to rev over 5K. You should be running 110 to 111 with your 60ft and 1/8th mile times/speeds. A taller tire will only help.

the stock turbo is quite capable of high 11's if you have the right stuff...usually ported and polished heads helps...it's a very beefy turbo from a factory standpoint...have you ever seen the turbos on the imports these days? they are TINY compared to our turbos from the factory...

i ran 12.2 @ 112 with stock turbo and injectors back in the day...it's not hard to do at all as long as you keep the boost high and knock retard 0