New to GN's..Need advice on pricing

Mnt86SS

So, I looked at a 86 GN T-Top WE 2 with 69k on it. It has some rare options like twilight sentential lighting, concert sound door panels, and Factory EQ. All the fluids were just changed, everything works. Has original window sticker and title. The body is laser straight, the paint is a 9, the interior is 9+, the engine bay was clean and original looking. The a/c is still r12. No rust anywhere. I had it up on a lift today. It will need some exhaust work and tires. It's all stock except for a chip that was just put in and a aftermarket intake. The car drove straight with no rattles or noises. The car brakes perfect. It shifted great. It also has a tranny cooler. Forgot to mention, it has a 87 grill because he likes the appearance a little better, but, he also has the correct 86 grill that will go with the car. It also has a trunk kit installed, looks nice.

The guy is asking 14,900 and I offered 13k. He is going to let me know tommorrow if he accepts my offer. What do you guys think ???

I really liked the car, just not sure about pricing. Prices seem to be all over the place with the economy and current market.
86GrandNational.jpg

86Gn.jpg

It seem like you offered a pretty good pice but I would go any higher. The market has cost the prices to soften up on these car quite a bit. Its some killer deals out there. I've seen some lower mileage gn's under 40k go for that price.

But sometimes you get what you pay for. Looks like a good deal if it is as nice as you say. If you are in the market don't let $500 or a grand keep you from a correct car, for every good one there is a whole lot of junk that looks decent.

Good luck

My nickels worth is that these are a collector car & the market shouldn't suffer on them just because other markets are suffering, but non-the-less the collector car market has too.

Anyhow, IMO.... this appears to be a $13-15,000 car all day long. Just a few years ago more like an $18,000 car. If the the seller counters back at $13,500-14,000 I'd accept that if it were me. Like "rmar" said, if you really want a GN & this car is what you say it is, don't let pocket change get in the way of it becoming your dream car.:wink:

car price

It depends on what you want to do with the car?If you want to keep it stock nice car then yes fair deal.If your wanting a car to mod and race around in then no.you could easily spend 5000.00 bolting on parts to make it go fast or find one with the mod's all ready done for less money.And beat on it and have fun.I don't thing you will ever find them cheaper then they are right now! tires and exhaust= 800.00. I'd stand firm on my offer.It's not just anybody that can walk up and hand you 13,000.00 for a car.Just my 2 cents

It seems like I'm right on the money with my offer. How rare is that Sentenial Twilight option ? Also, I forgot to mention that under the car is dry and clean, no paint or undercoating possibly hiding anything. The frame looks like it did in 86. The drop offs and trunk had no rust anywhere. They are all original panels.

Well I always say it's a lot cheaper than a used Toyota and you won't have to deal with any recalls. :p

Buy it and drive it, sounds like a winner. :cool:

It took me 23 years to rust one out so don't let that stop you either. ;)

13K to 13.5K is fair it sounds like. :)

Both my WE4 and GN have the Twilight option probably about 1 in 12 to 1 in 15 odds statistically speaking.

I also forgot to mention that the GN has 4 brand new Monroe shocks and thick blue springs, much thicker than the stock ones. It also has a newly installed hot wire kit that was just done. It also had a complete tune up with wires, plugs, thermostat (160) just completed last week. This is the guys 4 GN and he seemed to know a lot about them. He did mention that the hot wire kit was a must have for any GN.

If the paint is good and the interior is as good as u say then id say it's a fair deal. Condition is king not mileage. How are the ttop moldings? Did u take the tops off to inspect them? Make sure there is no rust there. Moldings aint cheap and the rubbers aint either.

Wheels look pretty mint. Put the other grill on to.

sounds like a great deal....looks like a car I was trying to buy when I was looking for mine a couple years back around the Worcester area...i was a day late...car appeared to be in awesome shape..price is right in line for the condition.....dont wait too long if its what you want...good luck

The market is really soft and prices are going to vary quite a bit, which is why it pays to look and find the right car. There is a 72k mile GN in my town on a lot that looks really nice but needs some tuning and some work. It claims to be a restoration, but I beg to differ after looking it over and driving it. They paid too much for it at Mecum and are asking WAY too much for it on their lot. They had it on eBay and got 0 bids.

I'm just saying that you can take your time and find two cars that are almost identical and they'd be thousands apart in price. I think the market will come back slowly, but right now it is not a good time to sell and it is definitely a good time to search long and hard to comparison shop. I think you'd be doing well at 13k on that car, though. :)

Looks to be a fair price for car that seems in good shape. If you get it and do the exhaust please make sure your use the Buick style not the M/C SS out the back!

No deal, at least not yet. He countered with 13,500. I countered with 13,250. I'll try him again tommorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

Agreed. Get it!. I paid 8 for a running car that needed paint. My paint and body work is 6K. Plus Tires, shocks, springs, bushings and some other cosmetic upgrades and I will be in my 72k mile car for about 17K. If the car is what you say and looks as nice as the pictures you are doing well. Price wise these cars have dropped off even since I purchased mine.

Looks like a beautiful car. You know you want to buy it. ;) Don't let $250 stop you. My buddy almost missed out on a trailer because he was negotiating about $100. It was a steal, so someone else drove off with it.

It's official.........I bought it tonight @ 9:00pm. It drove so nice,,,,,,,,,my son said he wishes we lived further away. Everything works beautiful. I also have the original window sticker and owners manual. I'll have some pics tommorrow for you guys. I'm now the proud owner of a GN. By the way, I couldn't believe how bright the running lights are even when the headlights are on. There is no denying what is behind you when you look up and see a GN bearing down on you. I had my son drive it so I could look at it. Very impressive.