new to alky:got knock

matt87

hey guys, i have Razor's single nozzle kit on the car in my combo. it has a TT chip for alky with 23/21 degrees. Russ Merritt set up the car,and did all the work. the car ran awsome 25-26 psi and the most knock i ever saw was 1.2 degrees. anyway i went out last saturday night and filled up the tank and went looking for trouble. i got on the car and was knocking very badly. it ran perfect the day before. the only things i can think of was it colder than it had been, 49 degrees and 81% humidity. the gain was all the way up on the control but tons of pinging, saw up to 8 degrees and could hear it ping. cold air needs more alky? maybe bad gas?

You may want to make sure the system is primed before slamming down the pedal. One easy way is to hold the test button down until the motor hesitates a little. This should only take a few seconds. If it does stumble.. lines are primed and try running the car again.

If it doesnt change the idle/stumble.. dont hammer on the gas.

Another way using the scanmaster while driving the car... hit the test button you'll notice the O2's will jump into the 800's.

Lastly.. some cars with the throttle blades really shut may not stumble when the test button is depressed.. but the O2's will always jump up.

Any questions.. you can always call me or Russ :)

Russ showed me how to prime it. i even took the up ipe off and had someone hit the test button and it sprays a nice even cone. i'm gonna tank it up today with some fresh gas and try again.

Cold air means more dense air, which inside your cylinder means higher pressures and temperatures. Thats why GNs feel so powerful on a nice cold day (not to mention the lack of traction on a cold day).

Moral of story - go easy on a cold day, or test it out first.

matt87 said:
hey guys, i have Razor's single nozzle kit on the car in my combo. it has a TT chip for alky with 23/21 degrees. Russ Merritt set up the car,and did all the work. the car ran awsome 25-26 psi and the most knock i ever saw was 1.2 degrees. anyway i went out last saturday night and filled up the tank and went looking for trouble. i got on the car and was knocking very badly. it ran perfect the day before. the only things i can think of was it colder than it had been, 49 degrees and 81% humidity. the gain was all the way up on the control but tons of pinging, saw up to 8 degrees and could hear it ping. cold air needs more alky? maybe bad gas?

thanks for the advice. turned out the two week old pump failed and i was getting no alky at all. i cant believe i didnt blow it up. tried it out in 49 degree nighttime weather and o2 were back in the low 800's with 26psi and 0 knock. thats the way i like it.

Russ got that sucker back quick..

Guess we need to sell you instead of a turbo saver.. an Alky Saver :biggrin:

Here's the carnage .. probably a little piece if debris.. :confused: Watch your containers, funnels, and inside of tank. Bet its stuck in the filter..

Stuff happens.. First i've ever seen ripped..

Attachments

• ripped diaphram.jpg
    ripped diaphram.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 195
wow, that sucks. maybe a little piece of brass from one of the fittings did that. anyway thanks for the pic.

Matt, no prob.

Its like when I get my tranny built.. I love going through the box of carnage my builder givs me back and seeing what let go. :biggrin:

even if our test button sprays alky, it may not be spraying while under boost?

A few ways you can tell that. One is look at your turnon LED. If it goes off at 5 PSI approx.. the MAP is working. Look at the power injection bulb.. if it gets brighter as boost increases.. the MAP is working. Look at your alky tank.. if it comes down as you go into boost.. its spraying.

If it stumbles like it did when you installed it. Like within a few seconds.. its working.