NEW TIMING COVER NEEDED (maybe)

PaulRV6

Not sure but I might need a new cover, still trying to identify oil leak. I know it is in the area of the pump cover gasket (2nd time I changed it and no different) but I am not sure if mayber the cover is cracked above it and leaking on the split.
Where is a good place to get a new cover, is GM still making them? I do not want a high volume one with the longer gears since, not needed, so what are my options? Thanks folks

P.S. This leak is bad enough that while priming the engine with my drill I can fell it coming out near the gasket area or just above it.

paul

That seems very odd that the front cover would leak that badly. Are you sure all the bolts were set at the correct torque spec?

Well, if you need a new front cover, I have one sitting in a box that is in decent shape. Nothing a little paint won't fix. :)

If you are interested, let me know and we can talk price and shipping information.

I had same problem turn out to be the pump cover that was done. not the timing cover. got a replacement from Ramchargers $40.00 nice kit

front cover

I recieved my new front cover from Ramchargers yesterday. Seems to be a very nice part. Price was around $140.

The pump was a new kit from GM I installed, so that is why I am suspecting the timing cover.
Was the Ramchargers timing cover a stock design or with the longer gears?
paul

Yes, the Ramcharger's front cover is the HV cover and it's made in China! My first Ramcharger front cover had a poorly machined surface on the oil pump boss (machine marks on less than half the surface - the rest as-cast) that allowed oil to leak from the gasket, as the 0.008" gasket couldn't possibly seal the mismatch. I disassembled the pump so many times that by the time I found the problem, the oil pump threads pulled out of the front cover. Trust me, they don't like repeated use! (and yes, I use a torque wrench religeously!).

HTH,

EXACTLY, that is why is asked if GM was still making them and if they were available, do not like cheap aftermarket parts.

paul

I just got one from GMPartsDirect for ~ $142.00 or so (shipped), actual cost was $119.00.