New Rear Seat

Ken Cunningham

Post No Bills
Inspired by Red Regal T's bitchin black interior, I went a'searchin for interiors yesterday. I didn't find any suitable drivers seats to replace my broken one, but I did find a 1984 Coupe deVille with the perfect blue interior to match my T. The rear seat bottom fits perfect, a little wider but pushes into the clips with just a little effort. The seat back was a different story! It's 4" wider, the hanging bars on the back do not line up, and the hold down tabs are shorter then the Regal. But I was determined to fit it in, so I did a little upholstery work and found a way to shorten the seat back frame by about 2" on each side. Bent the bars to create new hanging bars to match the Regal hooks. Replaced the hog rings and installed. I simply used wire to tie the seats hold down tabs to the seat belt retractor bolts. Totally cool! The seats are way more comfortable, they're rounded on the outer corners which makes it much easier to get in, and there is a center arm rest that pulls down out of the seat back. I can take some (low quality) digital pics, but have no web site to post them. :(

Still searching for the drivers seat. The Coupe was a 4-door so the driver seat didn't fold forward. Plus the electric seat controls are not on the seat like the Regal, they're on the door handle.

Good job, Ken. I'm surprised the Caddy seatback is wider than other models such as Olds or Buicks. Glad you were able to overcome the problem with a little ingenuity. My seats are from a four door car also. The front seat back just goes to vertical. I don't usually carry people in the back but they would be able to get in and out easily. As far as power, I put the power buttons on my armrests just in front of the door handle. Don't let button location stop you from finding seats. ;)