New PT61 Problems - Running Slower Than A TA49

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
:mad: dammit you guys stop posting good things about the 61, everytime i read a post of how much better it pulls with a 61 compared to a 44 or 52 i just keep wondering how much mine would pick up with a 61:eek: Yall are making it hard not to make the purchase when or if i come into enough money

I think with your built motor combo...a 61 P-trim will get you in the high 10's on 22-23 psi easily...it's gonna take me 28 psi to get my fully loaded GN with a bone stock motor into the high 10's...let me know when you are ready to order:D

Did I mention that I've had this turbo up to almost 20 psi without any knock retard on 93 pump gas??? The front mount makes a HUGE difference...BUT the PT61 uses a Garrett GT35R GT compressor wheel which means it's VERY efficient and high flowing...it throws the compressed air at much cooler temps than any standard compressor wheel would...

Originally posted by d0n_3d
...BUT the PT61 uses a Garrett GT35R GT compressor wheel which means it's VERY efficient and high flowing...it throws the compressed air at much cooler temps than any standard compressor wheel would...

I didn't know that. I just got mine from you all a couple of weeks ago, does mine have that compressor wheel too? It's the PT61 76

yes...any 61 that you get whether it's the smaller T350 exhaust wheel or the largest P-trim wheel, uses the 61mm compressor wheel from Garrett...it's an awesome turbo!

yes...any 61 that you get whether it's the smaller T350 exhaust wheel or the largest P-trim wheel, uses the 61mm compressor wheel from Garrett...it's an awesome turbo!

It is awesome, I have been really happy with it. Now I'm kinda glad my 52 gave up the ghost so I could get this bad boy:D

Hey guys lil news on the 61 on my car went a new best 60ft launch at 8 psi : 60ft: 1.59 car went a 11.42 in the 1/4 mile not my best but ,well worth talkin about . Will see some 11.20s and maybe teens has the weather cool in the next few mos.

later randy

AKTURBOTA, you dont have enough converter.

I compared the PT61 run for which the converter stalled at 2800 and 5 psi to my best run with the TA49 for which the torque converter stalled at approximately 3200 and 17.5 psi.

You need air moving through the motor to spool the larger turbo. 2800 at the line.. its gonna be a dog. You need a 3200-3400(not at 17.5PSI)

Lastly, you changed chips.. cannot compare.. apples-oranges.. different chips, different injectors..

HTH

Razor,

Yeah, the stall seems to be an issue now. The converter stalls at 2900-3000 at about 5-7 PSI with the PT61, whereas with the TA49 it was approximately 3400 at 15 to 17 PSI.

The car runs better with the Extender chip though and I am getting it dialed in. I think that I will need to pull the torque converter to get it to tweaked to stall at 3400, but I not sure if it will noticeably effect driveability. I detected a slight difference when I purchased the existing 9/11 TC that has the advertised stall of 2800.

I want top end charge with the PT61, but I also want to get back my 1.6 60' times.

Mark

Hey Mark...A true 3500 rpm "flash" stall converter works best with that 61 P-trim...that is about 3200-3300 at the footbrake...stall converters can start doing crazy things when you change combos...don't worry I'm still trying to tune my car with the 61...ended up running a 12.6 at 87 mph letting off a little over halfway through the run because my alcohol pump failed and the car was knocking like crazy...also doesn't help I had not enough fuel in my chip and I was running baby 26" slicks which I spun the first 60 feet...like I said any car will fly with this turbo...

for you guys who have a smaller converter such as 3000-3200 stall we strongly recommend the smaller T-350 turbine wheel for the quickest spoolup...

Originally posted by AKTURBOTA
Razor,

Yeah, the stall seems to be an issue now. The converter stalls at 2900-3000 at about 5-7 PSI with the PT61, whereas with the TA49 it was approximately 3400 at 15 to 17 PSI.

I want top end charge with the PT61, but I also want to get back my 1.6 60' times.

Mark

You need more stall..thats an easy. If your not ripping the tires when you leave.. your not going to make a good 330. Buick that 330's good.. will 1/4 mile good. Always.

Higher stall wont affect anything, actually I run a 3600 9x11.. its a little loose moving, but when it locks up..feels like the 12 inch stocker. And when I mash the pedal....5000 comes really fast.

3200-3400 you'll be happy. In other words increase the stall 400-600 RPM's

Too loose is not a good thing either. You'll lose mph and the top end will feel mushy unless you have an engine that makes power above 6K. Not many stockish GN motors make power above 6K. Mine is done before 5K. If you run a 9/11 and lock it up, when you lock it up can make a difference on a time slip too. Too early can bog, too late and the run is over. The looser it is, the more of an RPM drop you'll see when lockup occurs. The more power your car makes, the higher it will stall.... Careful not to go too loose...

I'm embarrassed to say...... :rolleyes:

I used to me a mph junkie. I loved the top end charge. I was never a 60 foot guy who liked to pull the fronts, especially with t-tops and no rollbar, but I usually 60 foot around a 1.70-1.80 range. My stall is a tad tight for my hair dryer but I like it that way so I can use that as an excuse as to why I'm not in the high 10's on a stock engine. ;)

I almost forgot, I usually run Nitto DR's but the best ET was on Hoosier DOT Quick time Pros. Still soft launch. It always seems to be that by the time I get my car ready to rock, it's time for eliminations so I rarely have a chance to go balls to the wall. The best mph was with Nittos. DR's hooking on any 11 second car is freakin hard. The dyno runs were much higher boost, closer to 29 PSI and with C-16, but the timeslip runs were less boost and less octane.

Ed a 2800 is way too tight for a 61. 3200-3400 is the consensus.

Unless he can get a ball bearing 61

Thanks Ed.

Bought a set of the Hoosiers too since our track isn't well prepped at all up here.

They work much better for me than the Nittos for racing and I get similar 60fts. nothing stellar but at least they hook a bit and you can get off the line under 2.0 sec. :D

Can drive on them too in an emergency. :cool:

Hey Mark...A true 3500 rpm "flash" stall converter works best with that 61 P-trim...that is about 3200-3300 at the footbrake...stall converters can start doing crazy things when you change combos...don't worry I'm still trying to tune my car with the 61...ended up running a 12.6 at 87 mph letting off a little over halfway through the run because my alcohol pump failed and the car was knocking like crazy...also doesn't help I had not enough fuel in my chip and I was running baby 26" slicks which I spun the first 60 feet...like I said any car will fly with this turbo...

for you guys who have a smaller converter such as 3000-3200 stall we strongly recommend the smaller T-350 turbine wheel for the quickest spoolup...

Don,

The biggest change in the right direction was to swap out the chip to the Extender Prom Chip. The car runs much better and gives me more options to fine tune the fuel curve instead of just raising or lowering fuel pressure, or sending the chip back to the chip burner to get the fuel map tweaked.

Mark